HybridZ

EFI manifold elbow?

OK, in building up my own EFI for a SBC, I am already quite into it and have been doing it on budget (don't tell me I should go LS1/LS2 LOL), so I just wanted to throw this question out there to find out the possibility of using a Ford Explorer manifold elbow vs a dedicated manifold elbow to mount the throttle body. The third option would be to have a friend fabricate one, but if I can get the Furd unit cheap enough, why bother? My real question is about the bolt pattern for the Ford unit--is it the standard carb intake bolt pattern?? Upper is Ford, lower is "standard carb" to TB.

80d0_1.JPGf3d5_1.JPG

OK, so I'm cheap. :mrgreen:

Davy

I too have been thinking about budget EFI for sbc...

I doubt that explorer elbow has the same bolt pattern, but i bet it could be modified.

OR i had the idea of useing a carb spacer and welding a 4" 90~100 deg. mandrel bent alum tubing to it and then making a billet plate to bolt the TB up.. needs to be welded also...

or wilson manifolds has two types of 4150 style elbows

461101.jpg

462101.jpg

http://wilsonmanifolds.com

and some 4500 styles below

l_Billet%20Elbow%20White%20Back.jpg

l_401001.jpg

My plan was to use mustang injectors, mustang Throttle body, Team G single plane intake manifold with injector boss's welded in, for fuel rail you can use 3/4" brass hex, drill a hole all the way thrugh it and machine for injector spacing, and Megasquirt. There is some other odds and ends but i dont think it would be all that costly.

The Wilson manifolds are purpose built, which I like and I've seen them on ebay for about $100. Not bad, but if I can get away with somthing significantly cheaper, I will. I'm cheap, baby. I may end up having my friend weld up an elbow for me that uses a Mustang throttle body as well.

The photo you show of the complete manifold is exactly what I want to do with a Vic Jr. I have the Vic Jr all ready to go thanks to rytherwr, and I think I do most everything else for not much money, hence the Mustang throttle body.

Thanks for posting.

Davy

• 1 month later...

DavyZ,

I'm building a 5.0 for my Z, I am using the Exploder gt-40P heads and intake. I will measure the bolt centers for you if that will help. I will also check them against a Holley four barrel carb bolt spacing, I don't have an old carb manifold laying around.

I'm working on building my own fuel injection as well, but it's not turning out to be such a low budget thing after all.

I'm going to start with an existing 88 tpi and do what the guys did in this article:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0307htp_hollley_stealthram_intake_third_gen_iroc/

I have most of the parts except for new injectors, without running an aftermarket ecu I think it can be done for under a grand. I just won't have all the tuning features with a stock ecu. Of course, this is only for a moderately prepped small block making around 400 horse at the crank.

Guest Luigi

Riechart racing (the guy that make pulleys for the cobras) has the lowest 90 deg. elbow.

Sullivan racing has the coolest, lowest. goes to a cobra throttle body. It will clear the hood on a 240 with a vic jr.

luigi