HybridZ

240sx throttle body on a 280z L28?

If I recall correctly, I think I read some where that you can swap a 240sx throttle body on an L28 for more hp? Is this true and have any of you done it by chance? Just curious if this is true and would love to hear a more about it if it's something that can be done because it might be a good future mod possibly down the road.

Guest 280ZForce
If I recall correctly, I think I read some where that you can swap a 240sx throttle body on an L28 for more hp? Is this true and have any of you done it by chance? Just curious if this is true and would love to hear a more about it if it's something that can be done because it might be a good future mod possibly down the road.

ummm...please do a search. Many of us have done this mod. You will find tons of info. Just click search on top toolbar in the forum, then advanced search type in 240sx tb, click the drop down below it and select "search titles only" and hit search. Viola...tons of answers.

• Administrators

FWIW, the stock EFI manifold port runners have only 53% the area of the L-28 intake valve!… Spend all the money, time, and effort you want on big throat throttle valves, but until you open those restrictive runners, open the exhaust system, optimize your ignition system, you will NOT be realizing the engines full potential with ANY over size of throttle valve.

Just a little food for thought. Do a search for L-6 dyno figures. You’ll find quite a few for the Turbo guys, and a handful for the N/A guys. Now ALL of the Turbo guys running the OE EFI intake manifold are making great torque numbers, but their HP numbers are pretty low compared to what they should be for the amount torque they are producing. Their dyno numbers are VERY much like turbo diesel HP and torque numbers. Others that are running similar set ups but the only difference is a different intake, the HP numbers fall in line with the torque numbers respectively, i.e. if they are making 500 ft lbs of torque, they are also making in the neighborhood of 500+ HP. The OE intake guys making similar torque figures are typically making mid 300 to low 400 HP figures… For the N/A EFI crowd, a similar situation holds true. You will find that the only fast EFI N/A guys are running some intake other than the OE intake! (hmm… seems to be trend here… ) The throttle valve being used, whether it be OE or the monster 90mm Q-45 unit is irrelevant.

If you want more power from and EFI L-6 engine, these are the items I would concentrate on in order of priority…

1) Exhaust, Ignition, (quality spark and “tuned” mech curve), Induction, (including getting rid of that AFM!)

2) Cam, (but ONLY after exhaust, ignition, induction upgrades including an aftermarket standalone EFI)

3) Light weight flywheel.

4) Head work.

In regards to HUGE throttle valves, here is a post I finally thought was time to post….

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=746418

Hope that helps...