HybridZ

Adjusting rear 280Z drums without emergency brake

Guest jwelch

Guest jwelch

Does anyone know of a way to adjust the 280Z rear (stock) drums without using the emergency brake lever? My emergency brake system needs to be replaced. I just put new shoes on and I can't quiet get them tight enough. I really don't want to replace the complete EB system yet.

Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.

John

77 280V8Z

66 383 Charger

bonk.gif

If I remember right (no guarantees there), if you pull the wheel, there is a small hole in the face of the drum--use a screwdriver to turn the starwheel (just like most other brakes)--the only real difference with a Z is that you cant do it thru the backing plate

Guest jwelch

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I tried that malebitchslap.gif but the problem is to get the shoes and drum tight enough to stop the car I can't get the hub back on. Does this make since that I should have to get them this tight? Any suggestions?

Regards,

John

77 280V8Z

66 383 Charger

John,

I think what Jim is suggesting, is to leave the drum hub on, then use a long skinny flat head screwdriver to adjust the preload through the small hole in the brake drum.

This is the method I've been using for a while now. I used to take a pair of vice grips and pull on the E-brake lever on the strut assembly, but I found out that I could do much finer adjustments by using the screwdriver method.

-Andy

Normally this function is accomplished by application of the E- Brake several times. I am assuming you still have the e-brake assy on the slave cylinder itself with out the cables. If the cables are still atached, remove the clevis pin where they attach to the lever protruding from the backing plate. Adjust the shoes out as far as you can and still put on the drums without force. Then take a screw driver and pry out on the lever where the cable attaches. This simulates the application of the E-Brake. You should here a ratcheting sound as the adjuster self adjusts to the drum. Keep doing this till the ratcheting stops. At this point the shoes should be adjusted. Now with out an E-Brake you will need to do this adjustment periodically to keep the rear brakes adjusted properly. You will notice increased pedal travel and a tendancy of the front brake to lock up first if the rear brakes are out of adjustment.Rick 2thumbs.gif