HybridZ

V8 chevy motormounts

Have a question,

I read in a post that you can use a 71 Camino motormount brackets for a Z?

Is this correct? I could remove my mounts and hang my engine in my bay with the mounts hooked up to the block center it and weld them in. is this correct?

I am a competent welder.

or would I be better off using the motorsports auto mounts? this is a 80 zx

thanks Jeremy?

The moderators get rather testy when new people ask such basic questions.

Read through the frequently asked questions page. Particularly the secion on chevy V8 swaps.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116670

Making a quick read of the rules will make your stay here a much more pleasant one

http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=58&a=2

Hi, I feel your pain. I have spent hours searching for some basic dimensions of the MSA mounts and have come up with nothing. There is some good info here but for a lot of the basics you have to either shell out 300$ for 10$ worth of metal or build them to the specs of Mike Knells book (JTR), which sets the engine too low and too far back to be really practical (IMO)...just to be able to use a 5 speed (by the way, you still have to buy the book because it is loaded with good information!) For those of us that want a good daily driver that is relatively easy to convert and dont want to drag the pan, hack up the hood latch or put spacers under the cross member, we have the option of using the scarab style mount (a simple spacer) and rigging together some kind of a tranny mount or doing something between those 2 extremes. The trouble with the scarab is that the engine sets a tad high and also leaves a little space between the distributor and the firewall (hood latch) that could be used to set the engine back a little. I tried to get dimensions on the MSA mount hoping that it would set the engine back and a little lower than the scarab but not so much that you have to do all of the JTR mods. Needless to say, this forum wasn't much help. Again, a lot of great people on this site and a lot of knowledge but it seems mostly aimed towards LS1 or more advanced engines and JTR conversions and not so much towards a simple conversion.

Also, be wary of asking questions...you'll probably get flamed for it. Most are really great (like PopNWood) but there are a few that have forgotten what it was like to be new to the game and assume that all the information can be found with a single search word (information that they know by heart and that they take for granted). They don't understand about links to nonexistant pictures etc. nor the frustration of not knowing the proper terms to search for. Luckily there are some great guys out there and this is not rocket science i.e. you can figure most of this stuff out for yourself...it just kinda sucks to reinvent the wheel.

I hope you can find the info you're looking for and hopefully I won't get flamed too bad for giving you a noobs perspective.

Best regards,

Tim

Well for a 280ZX there really aren't a lot of options on motor mounts. If I were to do it again I would just make the mounts. For a 280ZX all the MSA mounts do is adapt the chevy 3 bolt pattern on the block to the 2 bolt pattern that the 2.8L block had and add the right amount of space for the oil pan to clear the cross member. Here's a link to my webpage that I have pictures of the MSA mounts that are WAY overprice....http://www.datsun-280zx-lt1.com/SpecialPartsandMounts.html

Guy

The JTR mounts for a ZX are adjustable front to rear and left to right with the engine and trans in the car, will save a lot of time trying to figure things out. The ZX mounts are NOT the same as Z car mounts. My converson has the engine as far back as possible, with a carb, alumin. intake and 14 in air filter the stock hood still closes. Removing one brace on the hood latch is alot easier than cutting up the hood. With the engine moved back you also have more room to run a stock chevy declutching fan blade and not have to mess with electric fans. My car handles great and is alot of fun to drive, The first time you punch that gas pedal and light up the tires you'll be glade for the little bit of extra weight shoved to the rear of the car.