HybridZ

Rebuilt engine, anything to check for?

dimsum

Hello

I just installed a rebuilt engine into my 240Z, and am in the process of bolting everything else back on to the car. With any luck, I'll be able to start this guy up in the next few weeks.

Is there anything I should be aware of or check before trying to start the engine for the first time? Any and all suggestions are welcome, but I'm especially looking for those random things that might not be intuitive.

When I bought the car, the previous owner blew a piston ring, so the car wasn't running. According to him, before he blew the ring, the car ran fine without any problems. We'll see if he was honest or not.

In case it matters, the 240Z has a 5-speed, Mikuni carbs, and a Mallory Uni-lite ignition.

Thanks.

Don't assume anything. Fluids (new gas, oil, coolant). Cables properly connected and grounds installed. Car in park or neutral (LOL). A key or screwdriver helps. Parking brake set. Return spring(s) and linkage on the carbs in place. Take time to go over every bolt one more time. It is easy to miss the obvious. A fire extinguisher on hand is always a smart move. If you're using an electic fuel pump energize to check for leaks prior to firing the engine up. Spin the engine over with the coil wire pulled to build some oil pressure and look for fuel leaks prior to firing it up. DO it outside in case there is a serious problem so you don't burn the house/garage down. Sounds silly but it has happened.

A fire extinguisher on hand is always a smart move ... DO it outside in case there is a serious problem so you don't burn the house/garage down. Sounds silly but it has happened.

Heh heh...good suggestion. I placed a fire extinguisher in the garage early on in the project. With the heat guns, welding equipment, and 1000W lights in there, I'm surprised nothing has caught on fire yet.

Thanks for the other suggestions, too.

If the engine is newly rebuilt (sounds like it to me) is there a coating of break-in lube on all the bearings and cam/lobes. If you have been turning the engine over by hand while doing other things you may have rubbed a lot of the break-in lube off without providing any oil. Check what you can see and coat as needed what you can reach.

Dragonfly