HybridZ

About GenIII and LS1 oil return

I was searching and come across a thread here. Basically it says "a certain year(or year range) of LS1 blocks do not have a certain oil return, making them unsuitable for high HP applications."

The original thread is

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108319&highlight=5.3

the original message is

"just buy an LS1 F body motor and trans, it would be cheaper than piecing together something else. because you arent wanting to make HUGE hp any 98-02 motor would be fine for your needs (for higher hp applications where you are trying to spin to 7k 98 and 99 motors dont have the oil return for that and spin bearings) get a cam that makes all its hp before 6500 and you will be fine. a 98 motor and trans could be had for 1500-2500 depending on condition. and with a mild cam you would still be looking at 400+ crank hp with "bolt ons.""----------end original message

What kind of high HP are we talking about here? What about other non-aluminum blocks like 5.3,6.0 GenIII engines? Do they have THE oil return?

I searched a lot here and on LS1tech.com, but the LS1tech site returns only results about turbo oil line plumbing. Can someone elaborate on the "oil return." ? Thanks

Who posted that message?

I know the early blocks (98-99) didn't have windage openings between the block main webs. They were also notorious for "oil consumption" issues and blowing oil through the PCV system and into the intake. Maybe they are all related, hard to tell.

But I thought the 01-02 blocks had the upgraded oiling baffles.

FWIW - my totally stock '98 LS1 makes 311 rwhp which maths out to 390 at the flywheel. It currently is rev limited to 6,000 but it's still winding like a son-of-a-gun when it hits the limiter. A cam and a little head work and it could wind to 6,500 and develop 390+ at the rear wheels. Guess it depends on how much HP you're looking for.