HybridZ

axles don't fit !!

turbonat240

Hello everyone,

I have a 1982 280zx 5speed non-turbo that probably started its life as an automatic since I found out when I blew my diff that I had a 3.54 R180. so I decided to upgrade a bit and put a 3.9 R200 and CV-shafts from a turbo 280zx. To do the conversion I bought a 3.9 R200 and a set of used axles still bolted to the suspension tables so that I had the matching stub axles. I had the CV-shafts rebuilt, ordered new bearings, bushings....etc and bring the car to a mechanic to put all the stuff together.

The car is at the garage and everything is bolted and went fine but now my mechanic called me and he just cant put the axles in the car : he says they’re too long ! Actually he managed to put the shortest one on the passenger side but he had to unbolt the suspension table to squeeze it in. With the table hanging at the end of the suspension travel there is probably less than1/2’’ of play left in it. The other axle is about ¼’’ longer. I also had bought the snap rings that were supposed to clip the axles in the diff (from a nissan dealer) but my mechanic says that they don’t fit and he didn’t find any that can fit there.

I just don’t get it ! I thought everything should fit since turbo 280zx have the same body than mine and came from the factory with a R200 diff and CV-axles. I’m sure the stub axles, spindles and shafts I bought came from a 280zx turbo since they were bolted to identical tables than my car and the shafts were bolted with 6 bolts to the stub axles. And I had the right and left side from the same car. R200 diffs are supposed to be all the same except for the driveshaft flange and mine fits perfect.

The only thing I can see is maybe the shop that rebuilt my shafts put a different head on them or modified them inside or something. I know that they didn’t have a lot of experience with this type of axles and they couldn’t find new boots anywhere close and had to order them from the states (I live in Canada). I will call them tomorrow morning.

Has anybody here done this conversion on a 280zx ? Or went through a similar problem and know what can be going on? Any info or suggestions that can help solve this problem are greatly appreciated !!

I searched for hours on the net before beginning this swap and I just don't understand why these axles would be too long. Is there another model of Z that came with CV-axles with 6 bolts on the wheel side flange (disposed in 3 pairs like a triangle) ???

I really need help with that !

thanks

The only thing I can see is maybe the shop that rebuilt my shafts put a different head on them or modified them inside or something. I know that they didn’t have a lot of experience with this type of axles and they couldn’t find new boots anywhere close and had to order them from the states (I live in Canada). I will call them tomorrow morning.

This might be your issue. Often a rebuilder misses the fact that the driver's side 280ZX CV shaft is shorter then the passenger side and mixes parts up on the rebuild. The customer ends up with two long CV shafts and can only get the passenger side installed.

Here are some pictures of the 280ZX Turbo CVs fully extended. Left side:

DriverSide1.jpg

Right side:

PassengerSide.jpg

I'd find out if the "rebuilder" actually rebuilt the axles, or ordered a set of rebuilt axles from another location.

Everywhere I turned to find rebuilt axles only show one part number, which means there is no differentiation between left and right sides, which means you may or may not get a proper pair of axles. JohnC suggested this.

well I called the shop that rebuilt my axles and the guy said that he didn't change anything that could affect the lenght. he only buffed the bearing tracks and changed the boots.....he could not have mixed any parts since he did them one after another, and he said that the only thing that can affect lenght would be the shaft itself.

I thought maybe the axles I got were for a z31 300zx but they were bolted to rear control arms identical to mine and the set showed years of use so that doesn't make any sense. I got a right and left for sure and I put them side to side and the difference between both is about 3/4'' just like in your pics John. did you measure them from the outside edge of the flange. I'm gonna measure mine tomorrow.....I don't have them with me right now.

I'm gonna have to go back to see the guy with a barn full of parts that sold me the parts and search in his stuff if he has any axles of the same type but shorter. If I can't find that I think I'm gonna have to have mine shortened. is that expensive ? and does that affect reliability ?

thanks for your help !!