HybridZ

Holset's on EBay

mikeatrpi

What's the deal with all of the Holset turbo's on EBay? It seems as though there are plenty of sub $100 turbos with shaft play and possibly in need of a rebuild- a roll of the dice? Then for a little more, $100-150, there are turbo's pulled from running trucks in usable (their words) condition. Walk away or buy it now?

I am looking to adapt my NA motor to a turbo. I received some sage advice on the "how to", and learned that it is possible but not ideal to turbocharge an NA motor as long as boost is kept relatively low. Would a small Holset (H1C for instance) work for me? How do I know what type the hot side flange is? I can fab my own plumbing, but would prefer to use a stock 280zx turbo manifold for ease.

The 280zx turbo manifold will bolt upto the H1E(which I'm told is VERY similar to the H1C-cept the C is a vband I believe), you'll have to clock the housings if not the blower housing will aim at the frame rail. I wouldn't consider theses turbos small by any means. Try finding a used T25 from an SR20, the SR20 guys are always upgrading them. Theres actually 2 for sale in the classifieds section now.

Guest TeamNissan

Even if you could use the stock downpipe I wouldnt, esp if you can fab one up yourself. The stock one is VERY restrictive.

I'm going to use a hx30 for my l28et because I feel its the best match for my goals. I know alot of people here favor the hy35 though.

Check the old threads ALOT of people on here are using ebay holsets.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend running a larger turbo like that Holset for a low boost setup as it would be out of its efficiency range. Not that it wouldn't work, its just that you could run a smaller turbo that would be better in its peak efficiency range for the boost you're running and at the same time have quicker spooling for even better low end.

If you're planning on going for a lower compression, high boost setup down the road it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and get the larger turbo so that you aren't wasting money but if you're just wanting to keep it relatively stock, go with a smaller unit. That's the way I'd do it.