HybridZ

Master the Manual

typhoone

I am learning the 5-speed currently, simply because before now I have never needed to use one. finally I have my Z and it is great, the only downside to this is that I am having to learn to use the manual. I can go through the gears fine and all, but I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers. what are the best shift points? I am at full boost (10 psi) by 2900 rpms, so where should I launch at? can you give me some tips on racing? How do I do burnouts? what are some rpm control techniques? What do you mean by slipping and dumping the clutch? I did a search but the most helpful post I found was a 280 who was only at 7 psi at 3000 rpms so I am sure that causes a nice difference. I race a decent amount, but I have always used an automatic, so the main trick was ''Put foot on gas, go forward.'' lol also, any tips that are just plain helpful.

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

-Typhoone

Best shift points for mileage, between 2500 and 3000 RPMs. For racing it depends on the car. How you're setup, what HP you're putting down and where your power bands are at. Doing burnouts is simple, but be careful where. The cops can nail you with a nice hefty fine and to top it off you end up replacing your tires more often. Give it some gas, dump the clutch and floor it and your tires will spin, just watch the tach. You don't want to redline and blow your engine. If you can shift fast enough you can change gears to keep your burn going (this is really hard on the clutch) or just pull off the gas pedal enough to keep in the high end of your power band without going over. Dumping the clutch is just that. You push it to the floor and slip your foot off letting the pedal pop up completely. Slipping the clutch is releasing it too slowly and allowing it to friction burn causing premature wear of the clutch disc, glassing of the friction zones on the plate and flywheel and possible warping of the flywheel from heat. One of the best tips I can give for RPM control when doing burnouts and such is feathering the gas. Just quickly depress and press the gas pedal. Don't release completely otherwise you'll stall, but quick up and down motions with the toe work really well. You'll get the hang of all this as you drive it more. And again, BE CAREFUL!

Guest TeamNissan

They dont mean at a start they mean while cruising. If you are just driving say 45mph at 2500rpm and you want to pass in a hurry or "something else" then you downshift which changing the gear and ratio jacking the rpms up and giving you quick speed.

You can also downshift to slow down, instead of taking it out of gear and slowing down you can drop the drans into a lower gear and let of the clutch. The car is going to fast for that gear ratio so the drivetrain forces you to slow down much faster then braking alone.

Idk reading back I sound like a idiot but Idk a simpler way of explaining it, hope that helps.

When I learned stick for the 1st time I just took the car onto I95 for 3 hours then took it around w/e town i was in through traffic then 3 hours back to some more traffic. Do that along the way try some dif things and you will be damn comfortable behind the wheel when your done.

okay, thanks a lot guys. I know I sound retarded not knowing how to drive a stick, but at least i'm trying. lol. oh yeah, and that driving in traffic idea....uhhh...nooo...I get road-rage like you would not believe...that isn't a safe idea for me or anyone in the surrounding area. lol.

trying to teach someone to drive a manual over the internet is like trying to teach a blind man to draw a scenic country villa. it just doesn't work.

find someone local who knows how to drive a manual and get them to teach you.

LMAO.. Amen!

Driving stick boils down to one thing == PRACTICE

There is no way to teach it. All you can do is explain the basics and then it's up to the driver to learn from experience how to do it best.

Ideal launch points depend a lot on the motor's power curve, traction, gearing, etc. There are just too many variables to say "launch at X". You just have to practice.

- Greg -