HybridZ

700r lockup wiring. How do I verify which kit I have and wire it correctly?

Racin_Jason

My 700r4 was rebuilt by a guy who went out of buisness. I remember him telling me he installed a lockup kit that only required 1 wire to the plug on the tranny. I believe he told me that all I needed was a 12v line connected to 1 of the 4 pins. I never got any relays or other wiring.

Fast forward almost 3 years. He is retired and moved away and I have NO idea which kit he installed, if I am missing anything or how to wire it up. How can I tell what is in it and how to properly wire it up?

Thanks!

Jason

I actually stopped in on a tranny shop and got some advice on this. They too said to pull the pan and look. They also said based on what I remember the builder telling me that a 12v switched to the front-outer pin should do it. Im still going to drop the pan and have a look. If its only one wire going to the connector inside the tranny, then the single switched 12v line is all thats needed (they said).

We'll see..

FWIW, that sounds like the setup BowTie overdrives uses. The wire goes to a five pin relay that has a ground, 12V keyed power, tranny/lock-up and brake light. Power from the break light unlocks the converter so it doesn't burn up.