HybridZ

Ls1 Fuel Gauge

SSflyer

Got a gauge question for you LS1/Camaro gas tank guys. The resistance reading from the sender in my tank (from a 2001 Camaro) is 251 Ohms full and 40 Ohms empty, and I was told that the correct Autometer fuel gauge to use was number 3516. (Their literature says that gauge is for 33 Ohms full and 240 Ohms empty, but I bought it anyway.) So now the gauge reads just below half full when the tank is empty, and below empty when the tank is full. The wiring is correct and the grounds are all good. After hours of screwing around chasing down a non-existant mistake, I had the idea to use my spare sender/float assembly (from a 2002 Camaro) wired directly to the gauge and I got the same result. I don't see any gauge on the Autometer site for the resistance readings on my senders, so what are you all using, or what have I done wrong?

I talked to one of the techs at Autometer and he said to send my gauge in to them and they'll install a reverse mechanism so the gauge will read correctly. There's a $25 charge, but if it works it will be well worth it. I'll repost after the gauge comes back...

ps. I tried switching the sending lead and the ground lead on the gauge, thinking that maybe the reverse signal would read correctly, but no soap. I guess the gauge reads only the relative resistance between the two wires.

Yeah, a resistor doesn't care which way you hook up the wires.

Good to know about the autometer fix. This is a common question on this site.

Mounting the sender upside down would fix your problem...

The other option would be to paint new empty and full marks on the guage face....

• 1 month later...

UPDATE -- The gauge came back from Autometer and now reads correctly full to empty. It still isn't very linear, full is above the full mark on the gauge and when the sender is on empty the gauge still reads at 1/4 tank. It's a 15 gallon tank and the gauge stays on full until almost 10 gallons have been used, but at least now I can tell what's going on. All in all it was $25 well spent.