HybridZ

LS1 header studs perfect for L series Head

gearheadstik

Hey guys, I was just working on a head for my turbo motor and had some LS1 head parts in the mix on my work table....noticed that my ARP header studs looked the same as my L series manifold studs...they are part number arp-434-1301 $99.00 in Summit Racing..There is 12 in a set..you need 8 for our L heads...I didnt know if you guys had a better alt for old head manifold studs...but these are realy strong...Just figured I would put it out there. hybridpic-2.jpg

no, GM stuff is pretty much metric these days. those arp studs are definitely nice looking. i wound up tapping all of mine out to 10x1.25 except for the middle three and used manifold nuts from a 350z that have the big flat washer incorporated into them for my turbo project. works very nice and you can put a good bit of torque on them without worrying of pulling threads in the head.

Maybe what I said was to the point. The stud from ARP in that picture being compared to the original stock stud below is in fact too short for what you are looking to do. When you thread them both into a hole and see where they will stop, then you will see what I'm talking about.

10mm thick studs is a very good option but not for everyone. Honestly, most of the people who buy my stud kits don't even have the head off the car, they are just repairing the car to stay running. With that being said, they're not really ready to have a head drilled and tapped. Now don't get me wrong here, MANY racers and hot rodders buy my kit, I sell LOTS of the stud kits. I have yet to hear of a customer or a customers car that has broken one of the studs I sell.

Good find on the ARP studs though, I'm sure they can be used somehwere else on the car.

you are definitely right that most people don't want to do that but, mine started with just doing the outside studs but i figured i wanted to be able to torque them down evenly. and using grade 10.9 on the 3 in the middle. managed to find lock nuts to fit all of them. i did see one of your kits at SEZ pallnet. looked alright. i like the 10 mm though because there isn't as much room for the manifold to move when you set it up on the head to bolt on. especially if i go external wastegate with a holset i want the extra strength.