HybridZ

81-83 Datsun 280ZX N/A 5 speed transmission

Guest Bulletproof-Z

Guest Bulletproof-Z

Hi, I have searched for a whole week and did not find exactly what I was looking for. Or maybe I may have overlooked and could not find it. So I'm hoping someone can help answer some questions about the 81-83 Datsun 280ZX N/A 5 speed transmission. Or if this has been discussed before, please link me to that thread. Thanks.

Ok, here's the question, my brother-in-law owns an 83 280ZX Turbo and the Borg Warner T5 5 speed transmission finally broke down on him. He has made a few phone calls and found out that it's going to be expensive to get the BW T5 5 speed tranny rebuilt. And it is also quite rare and hard to locate another BW T5 5 speed transmission at the local junkyard. So he wanted to know if he can just pick up the 81-83 Datsun 280ZX N/A 5 speed transmission and use that?

If he does use the 280ZX N/A 5 speed transmission, is it a direct bolt on? Are there any differences in drive line length? Are the bell-housings the same? Will the 280ZX N/A transmission bolt up onto the 280ZX turbo transmission cross member? Any and all information will be apprciated. Thanks.

I have read on here that the N/A 5 speed transmission has slightly different gear ratio's. But he will be using the car as a daily commuter, no racing or whatsoever. So he's assuming that the car will still run fine if he went the N/A 5 speed transmission route. I have also read that the Nissan 240sx S13 and 300ZX Z32 5 speed trany's are both compatible with a little bit of modification. However, if the 280ZX N/A 5 speed transmission will not work and be a direct replacement he might consider going this route.

The only thing that I can think of offhand is that the driveshaft may be too short.

When swapping in a T5 into a 240, 260 or 280z or zx, the driveshaft needs to be shortened by about 2 inches. However, I would assume that doing the reverse (swapping in a N/A 5-speed) would mean that the 280zxt driveshaft is 2-inches too short.

This is purely speculation based on the reverse swap.

The 81-83 N/A ZX 5spd will bolt right up to the block, but the driveshaft and the yolk & diff flange are a non bolt on fit.

The trans mount (cross member mount) will not work either with out mods....

You will also need a shifter that goes with the N/A trans, as the T-5 shifter is different.

Anything else you guys can think of to help this guy out with...??

T5's are NOT rare in the least. They were also put in Mustang GTs from '84-95, Camaro/Firebirds with 305 V8s from 82-91 & other applications as well. I paid $400 to have my T-5 completely rebuilt. Whomever told you otherwise is either incompetent or lying. They are not a difficult tranny to rebuild. You may be able to use better transmissions option from the Mustang aftermarket, like the Tremec.

T5's are NOT rare in the least. They were also put in Mustang GTs from '84-95, Camaro/Firebirds with 305 V8s from 82-91 & other applications as well. I paid $400 to have my T-5 completely rebuilt. Whomever told you otherwise is either incompetent or lying. They are not a difficult tranny to rebuild. You may be able to use better transmissions option from the Mustang aftermarket, like the Tremec.

exactly what i thought too, around $400-500 for rebuilt