HybridZ

Crankcase evac setup causing white smoke?

When I upgraded the exhaust, I also installed a Moroso crankcase evacuation setup. At first, I wasn't running any baffles on the valve covers because I have 1.6 roller rockers and was afraid of clearance issues. But after the first time I hit WOT (or far enough to open the secondaries)and saw nothing but white smoke in the rear, I decided to install them. While the baffles didn't have any clearance issues after all, I still had the smoking problem. It's intermittent, though. Most of the time I see it at WOT, but sometimes I don't. Since this only started happening after the crankcase evacuation setup was installed, I'm assuming the problem lies within it. I can't see how any oil is being sucked through the baffles, but should I install some sort of oil separator between the breather and the check valve? It's been a while since I've looked into this, but I pulled the hoses off the breathers and IIRC, didn't see any oil residue :icon5:

I think jnj is running this type of setup - have you had any issues, or anyone else for that matter? It's really embarassing when it happens. I mean, I literally can barely see the car behind me.

White smoke is "Fuel" while blue smoke is "Oil". It sounds to me like your engine is dumping too much fuel on a WOT situation.

If you were burning oil (Blue Smoke) then you would be forced to "Add" oil when the the dipstick indicated you were low..., are you having to add oil; if no - then you problem is not an oil issue but a rich fuel during WOT issue.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Well, I know if oil burning is going on inside the cylinders, then it comes out of the exhaust blue, but I've had issues with leaky engines before where the oil would drip onto the exhaust and would burn white smoke. This is why I was thinking maybe the crankcase gases/blowby (not much) are burning onto the insides of the exhaust pipe and causing the smoke. It's kind of vague, but now that you mention it, I think the smoke is most prevalent after I've topped off the oil level. I just installed a new 5.5 qt. pan a couple of months ago, and I usually add an extra .25 quarts for the rest of the system - I don't think that would be overfilling it...? It still has a couple of small leaks, so every couple of months I generally have to add 1/2 a quart or so - I don't think it's burning any inside the cylinders.

I just made a couple of WOT runs last night without seeing any smoke. But I'm sure it will happen again later down the road.

BTW, I thought rich conditions caused black smoke (which I've seen several times), and white smoke was from moisture/condensation, or headgasket leak. Could you clarify this for me?

Unhook the oil separators from the hoses to the headers, jury rig some breathers, plug off the hoses, and make several full throttle runs, preferably at the strip. That should tell if it's the evac system or not.

jt

I remember I did that last time, but I didn't see any smoke when I ran it. I also didn't factor in the oil level at the time, so it could've been lower. I think I'll pop the hoses off, top off the oil level, and make a few more runs. I'll report back later this week when the weather improves.