HybridZ

Which version of Megasquirt for NA?

Zmanco

I'm getting ready to choose an MS version for my NA L28. A few things about my plans:

- I do not plan to go turbo - please don't hold that against me :)

- I already have an MSD 6AL so don't need a rev limiter

- I would like to be able to make tuning adjustments via a Palm (even small laptops don't fit in the glove box)

From what I can tell from the MS site, I think I want to go with the V3 board as it's the most robust and tolerant of wiring errors.

The question is if I go with MS-I or MS-II.

MS-I Pros:

- has tuning s/w for a Palm

- cheaper

MS-II Pros:

- 12x12 VE table (vs. 8x8 for MS-I) Does this really matter for a NA application?

- Autotune support

What other significant differences are there?

Lastly, does either support control of an electric cooling fan? I can't find it mentioned on the site, but it seems like it would be trivial to add hysteresis for the relay.

Well..

MS1 with Megasquirt n Spark EXTRA has (12x12 fuel/spark maps)

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/index.html

Does it matter?! yes if you want a rock solid AFR all the way across the powerband, the more fine tweaking the better.

EXTRA also includes :

Features

12x12 fuel tables

12x12 spark tables

DualTable code

Roger Enns' injector staging code

Rev limiter

Overboost protection

Mappable Air:Fuel Ratio target for use with wideband O2

Coolant temp timing advance

Inlet temp timing retard

MAPdot accel/decel enrichment

Anti-rev / Traction Control feature

Over-run fuel cut

Afterstart Enrichments

Cranking /Priming settings

Hybrid Alpha-N

Air Density Correction

RPM Based Accel Enrichment

If you want to check out my car Daniel i can show you the ins and outs, I finally have a laptop for full tuning.

I can help with the install too

Thanks Ryan, I didn't realize there were other sources of firmware as well. Wow, lots to get on top of!

So MS1 might be the way to go after all. Any thoughts on whether the V3 board is really that much better than the V2.2? It appears to be a more robust design (4 layers, thicker copper), but if the 2.2 is adequate, that's another $50 to spend elsewhere.

I agree, even ran as fuel only, MS-I with the MegaSquirt n Spark -Extra firmware is the way to go.

Just lock your dizzy advance or swap in a turbo dizzy and go for fuel and spark control!

I felt the 2.2 board is easier to assemble then the newer board (if you're building it yourself), but the newer board is "fancier" and it is easier to access it's outputs when you start adding stuff with the MSnS-E firmware.

Mario

If you got V3 with MS&S_E, I have a .msq for fuel and spark thats seems to be doing the trick (even did about 10K miles of pizza delivery with it)

If you wouldnt mind sending it to me it'd be very much appreiciated. Thanks!