HybridZ

clutch master cylinder bleeder valve

Azdyl05

Call me stupid if you wish, but I can't seem to find a bleeder valve on my clutch master cylinder. I tried searching forums, but came up empty handed.

My chilton's manual makes this seem incredibly easy, but makes no mention of where the bleeder valve is. I even went to a few parts stores to look at a new cylinder for comparison, but it was a wild goose chase and nobody had one in stock.

Please help.

Thanks

DSC00605.jpg

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

You don't have a bleeder valve. Did you only open the system downstream from the MS? If so, simply bleed it from the slave cylinder. The purpose of bench or bleeder valve on the MS is to get the MS primed and full of fluid on the internal bore. If you've not disturbed the MS (did not replace it), you should be able to proceed with a normal bleeding process at the slave cylinder, even if all of the reservoir fluid drained out of the MS while doing the work.

You don't have a bleeder valve. Did you only open the system downstream from the MS? If so, simply bleed it from the slave cylinder. The purpose of bench or bleeder valve on the MS is to get the MS primed and full of fluid on the internal bore. If you've not disturbed the MS (did not replace it), you should be able to proceed with a normal bleeding process at the slave cylinder, even if all of the reservoir fluid drained out of the MS while doing the work.

Thank you Terry,

as of now, I haven't unhooked or replaced anything. Is the procedure the same when bleeding from the slave? (can I do this with the clutch lever and rubber tubing as described by Chiltons, or do I need a bleeder pump?)

When I do replace the master and slave cylinders (when I do my engine swap) would it be safe to assume that the new Tilton cylinder will have a bleeder valve on it?

Thanks again

I have never bench bled an MC in my life. My slave cylinder went completely bad and after 4 years of storage drained all the fluid. When I replaced the slave, I had to prime the MC by disconnecting the outlet fitting and holding my finger over the opening while someone pumped the clutch. This primed the MC so when I reconnected the line I was good to go for a normal bleed at the slave.

Hooking a vac pump to an MC bleed valve is a less messy way to do things, but I think people tend to get over elaborate when bleeding hydraulic systems.

BTW, spray a little WD40 on that outlet fitting to slow the rust.