HybridZ

FI Air intake on '73?

Zmanco

As I'm planning my switch to FI on my 73, I've noticed that the hole just to the left of the radiator where I'd like to run my air intake is smaller on my 73 than the later cars that came with FI from the factory. The hole is only about 2.5" diameter. My car is pretty clean and I don't want to hack up the hole to make it larger.

How have others who have done the FI swap, (also turbo I suppose) dealt with this?

custom intake
Does that mean you enlarged the hole, or lived with its restriction, or perhaps brought cold air in some other way? I'm looking for help with the details of this aspect.

Pictures would be great!

wel i dont hae any pics of the car cause it was my friends car.....and i have moved about 1600 miles away since then....but i did not cut up the car at all...th kit we got looked kinda like this

X.jpg

along with a cyclone kit....wich actually works btw.....and the car ran great, no restrictions on air flow that i could tell..

hope this helps

If you are intercooling a turbo car, then the tubing is FAR smaller than the OEM N/A ducting that goes through that hole. Turbo guys normally run a cone filter on the turbo directly, or fenagle the AFM to a place where the filter is out side the radiator.

Matter of fact, you are being taken in by an optical illusion! I know for a fact the stock Turbo AFM will take a full diameter tube through the opening you are talking about in the radiator core support of a 73...

So the N/A boot using a 'cold air tube' will fit through there easily as well. Just like posted above: unmodified.

Thanks Tony. However, I'm also going with the 60mm (~2.4") 240SX throtle body, and that's what has me worried.

In fact, another question is what's the best source for the flexible "boot" to go between the TB and the cold air tube? Unfortunately I haven't found a 240SX in a JY yet.

Can anyone recommend a sources for flexible tubing? This is the closest I've found so far:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=hose&N=700+4294925239+115+4294813803&NeXID=5&Ntk=KeywordSearch

Turbo, or non-turbo?

Turbo: Doesn't matter, the IC tubing is only 2 or 2.25" in diameter, it fits.

N/A: Doesn't matter, the Cold Air Tubing is only 2.5" in diameter

60mm SXTB: Doesn't Matter, the outer diameter of the body is still only 2.5" in diameter!

As for best boot, I used a silicone turbo hose from Turbo City. But the stock hose will work there as well if you stretch it---just use a new one! The old ones get hard and can crack/break!

Samco Sport also has STEPPED silicone hoses that are one ID on one end, and another ID on the other, that is also a pricier option. The 2.5" Silicone hose I got from Turbo City fit my SX TB fine, and I used a 2.5" to 2" muffler adapter to neck it down to the 2" I/C tubing I was running. On the Fairlady, I used the 2.5" cold air kit from a "Honda Generic Kit" from APC at Pep Boys and it fit just fine, hump hose and all.

Keep in mind, the Honda stuff is really price-competitive, and it WORKS---they don't care what engine is breathing through it! I've found all sorts of nick-nacks that are helpful in fabbing up this kind of stuff.