HybridZ

Great deal on a roll cage!!!

Well guys, It looks like I may have made a pretty good deal on having a cage welded in! $760 for a six point including the windshild hoop, welding in new floor pans and adding subframe connectors. He is a friend of a friend who used to do a lot of work for the local round track guys. He hit hard times a while back and had to sell his bender and dies. He is using this to buy new ones. I have seen his work and am pretty impressed all his cages seem really tight and look to be welded well.

I will post pictures when its done!

WOW, that's a great price for all of that!

I'd make sure he knows the rules for SCCA and NHRA if you plan to go to those tracks/events and compete. Seems these two differ enough to make it impossible to make a cage that works for both sanctioning bodies, if you get to the point of needing a cage in both classes of racing.

Guest Anonymous

Just curious, did the SCCA ever even test its roll bar spec's anywhere? I mean what passes for a legal SCCA rollbar of only four points and a diagonal (I'm sure it changes by class huh?) does'nt seem that much more impressive than a NHRA approved cage? I mean did they roll some cars, or just pulled a spec out of they're keester? Or did they study accidents and determine they're needs, or just use a engineer to tell them what was best?

Regards,

Lone

Well pete, I dont think Ill be doing a lot of SCCA racing. From what I understand my engine modifications would put me in a class that my suspension couldn’t back up! :(

Lone, to answer your question as a mechanical engineer myself I would be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that the SCCA just contracted an engineering firm to help the create the roll cage specs. One of my college professors designed roll cages on several occasions. In addition to teaching he specialized in automobile insurance cases. He would examine the structural integrity of the wrecked car and determine if everything held up the way it should of.

I'm not sure how they got them originally, but I'd say over the years they've collectively sure crash tested enough of them.

In one of Carroll Smith's books he comments that about the only thing he thought was worthwhile about SCCA was their roll cage requirements.