HybridZ

Rear Disk Brake Question for Ross or SCCA

Ok, I've have the "correct" Maxima rear caliper brackets. What I need to know is, which year Z calipers do I need? Will aftermarket calipers work? I got the brackets off a 80' Maxima for free! Thats if you don't count the hour it took me to remove them smile.gif I want to run the KVR Carbon Fibre "sports" if I can. Thanks

Mark 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif

SCCA, thanks for responding! smile.gif Good question, well I've seen the difference, 80-81 Maxima's no problem, early 82's also. But Nissan changed the rear brakes sometime after March/April of 82. So those brackets won't work! I do have the rear calipers off a 79 280ZX and they line-up fine. I'm just can't remember if it's the 79-81ZX calipers I'm to use or 82-83's? The pads look awful small on the 79ZX calipers.

Mark

I'm just can't remember if it's the 79-81ZX calipers I'm to use or 82-83's? The pads look awful small on the 79ZX calipers.

Mark

Those pads are small, but they do work smile.gif The later calipers and 240SX calipers we use are ~25% larger (comparing published pad areas).

Difference as pictured below:

P8080029.jpg

The 240SX pads are the lower ones with yours being the upper.

The KVR Sports (carbon fiber weave) are available, drop me an email for transaction details.

FWIW, I'm still running the upper pads as I still have OEM rear brakes on my early 280ZX! Not quite biased right with my 13" fronts b_hand.gif Gotta change that as all those (some 30+ setups now shipped smile.gif ) now with the new 'CNC rear disk setup' have more rear brake than I frown.gif

I could be wrong, but this is what I've seen at the scrapyards....

The bolt-on brackets from the Maximas that fit the early ZX calipers will not work with the later ZX calipers or the 240SX calipers - the bolt spacing is different. Supposedly there is a Maxima bracket put on some of the '82 Maximas that allows you to bolt up the later ZX and 240SX calipers, but all I've seen were welded on.