HybridZ

How to Fix a Sticky Window

Bartman

So My doors were rattling and I was having difficulty raising and lowering my window. I could get my window to go up and down, but there were a couple of spots where it was really difficult to turn the window crank. It was so hard to turn in these spots that I was worried about actually breaking the window.

So I disassembled my doors and replaced the window channel felt with JC Whitney 9/16" x 7/32" Rubber Window Channel part number ZX184874U (which worked great). I removed the regulator and the window glass and cleaned everything up as well as I could and greased the moving parts with white lithium grease. I put everything back together and the window still didn't work as good as I wanted.

I removed the window and regulator a second time and focused on the front window sash that Wick discusses in his book "How to Restore a Datsun 240Z". The hard rubber piece of the window that slides in the metal window sash had worn off in some places and attached to the sash. I scraped the inside of the window sash really good to remove all the crud that had collected over the years and put everything back together again...ensuring it had plenty of white lithium grease. That did the trick and now the window works nice and smooth. There's also some adjustment that can be made to the sash position, so you need to play around with it to ensure that you have it in a position that won't make it bind anywhere during the window travel range.

So to anyone that has problems with your window you can do everything I did, or just try removing the sash first. You can remove the sash without having to remove the window or regulator. It's just held on with two bolts toward the front of the door. With the window all the way up, you should be able to remove it from one of the openings on the inside of the door.

• 1 year later...

my 75 280z coupe drivers side window i can't allign it good enough the window looks like the back part of the window is up too high, and the front is too low, I can't push the rear of the window down anymore, and i can't pull the front of the window up to get it level. I am at a complete loss, and I don't know how to allign it properly. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me. PLEASE

There should be 2 guides that you can adjust towards the front and back of the door. These don't adjust the window itself, but the position of bottom part of the scissor lift assembly. I think the problem you are having is with the plastic wheel /bearings that slide through these guides.

(I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPOSIBLE FOR ANYONE DOING THIS TO THEIR OWN CAR< AND DANAGING IT)

All I did UNFORTUNATELTLY was drilled new holes in the door for the glass channel, and the regulator channel. I drilled 1 inch under the regulator channel and bolted it in, and I drilled 1/2 inch away from the front of the car for the glass channel to line everything up perfectly.

I only did this because I was getting so frustrated with the stock bolting positions, because it was still far off from correct.

Welcome to HYBRIDZ!!!!!! Experience is what makes this site as insightfull as it is! If wrong or right, you will find out by others or later you may have added valuable insight to the search function.

The scientific function means you have to let other do one thing, dissprove it.

Cheers!

(I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPOSIBLE FOR ANYONE DOING THIS TO THEIR OWN CAR< AND DANAGING IT)

All I did UNFORTUNATELTLY was drilled new holes in the door for the glass channel, and the regulator channel. I drilled 1 inch under the regulator channel and bolted it in, and I drilled 1/2 inch away from the front of the car for the glass channel to line everything up perfectly.

I only did this because I was getting so frustrated with the stock bolting positions, because it was still far off from correct.

I think in your case. the window mount was from a different car (could be wrong). One of my 280z came with the wrong door (outer door latch design, one a inner door latch design car). Thing never did fit right( whole door). Window never fit in the frame right either. My guess is that the door was damaged at one point and they took the glass and window mech and put them into the door they were replacing it with. Bought the door that I am selling now off of ebay. Car that it was is going to be scrapped when I'm done with the other car (other car has the earlier design).

If both regulators were from different cars, I really didn't have the money to buy new ones, and I think black dragon only sells on side, and if i was going to try and search for one it would have taken me at least a month, just like it did for my window.