HybridZ

In a bit of a pickle here

turboboost

I have a problem here. Back before winter I bought a 1979 280zx for 200 bucks.(Frame rails were good too) Unfortunatly, it didn't run at all. All winter long, I worked on it to get it running. About a week ago, I started it.:) My problem here is that the owner before me decided that the Z should be mufflerless, so he took an Oxy-acetelene torch to the pipe right before the axle, and cut the muffler off. It sounds amazing right now, but when I start it, it wakes the whole neighbourhood up, and I have people who complain to me about the sound it makes. I would like to do this as cheap and good as possible, so here is where your opinion/answers come into play:

1) Since he cut right after the axle, is it possible just to buy a different muffler and weld it up to the existing pipe?

2) If so, what muffler do you suggest for an unmoddified N/A?

3) What is the stock pipe diameter for a 79 N/A?

4) If not, what should I buy/do?

5) Keep in mind that I am on a slightly lower budget, so I don't really want to be buying a whole "Monza" exhaust kit, or have a shop custom make me one.

As usual, links are helpful.

Thanks for your opinons Hybridzers,

Derek

I can't beat Spark's suggestion for cheap. If it never leaves your driveway that that is the solution. The only way you could do it cheaper is to find a muffler on the side of road.

MSA sells turbo mufflers for $49 that work perfectly on a NA Z. I have bought similar mufflers at places like Autozone for $9. You will need to get a double bend to go under the rear cross member, but from there on up you can almost run straight pipe.

Hit the local autozone and see what they can hook you up with. I can't imagine you spending more than $100 total.