HybridZ

17 x 9 wheels...Here we go again...

Guest Gr8White

Guest Gr8White

Ok Guys, I'm going to ask a question that I haven't seen asked or at least couldn't find that this was asked. I am contemplating 2003 Cobra wheels (17 x 10.5 back (With YZ flares) 17 x 9 front) and wondering what the minimum width tire I could run on these at the front- with the intent of keeping the tires within the stock wheel wells. I plan on coilovers anyway. I'm sure this is probably discussed somewhere, but couldn't locate within this forum. I know these are fairly popular, any help on these would be appreciated. I didn't think the 245's or so that come on these would work, not to mention the difficulties of no power steering and wide front tires!

Thanks.

Well if you are on coilovers you should be able to get a 245/45 or even a 245/40 onto a 9" wide wheel and they will fit in the front (with the right backspacing). However, if you are on stock struts I am afraid you are out of luck. 225mm is the widest to fit in the front I believe and a 9" wheel is just too much for a 225 series 17" tire.

Those wheels sound like replicas. I dont think Ford put staggered wheels on any non R Cobra. Be sure to get some good, high quality ones.

225 has been done on 9" wheels, but thats pushing it IMO. 235 sounds much better, but I dont have experience with Z fitments.

Guest Gr8White
Those wheels sound like replicas. I dont think Ford put staggered wheels on any non R Cobra. Be sure to get some good, high quality ones.

225 has been done on 9" wheels, but thats pushing it IMO. 235 sounds much better, but I dont have experience with Z fitments.

These are the 03 Cobra replica wheels. I believe the fronts have a 26mm offset. I know the rear wheels (w/315's) will fit with the YZ flares. I have seen several wheel/tire packages with 315's rear and 245's up front. My biggest concern was first, would they fit with coilovers and secondly, would they fit within the stock wheel wells up front...The wheels I'm looking at are the 17 x 10.5 and 17 x 9. From what I am hearing the 245 should fit with the 17 x 9 and 26mm offset. Any rebuttals to this?

Who makes some good replica wheels? I definitely don't want junk and I'm afraid E-bay is full of nothing but...

Thanks again for all of the information. You gotta love this site!