HybridZ

Best place to live north of Atlanta, GA?

DavyZ

My company is sending me just north of Atlanta for a couple of weeks. If I like it, I may relocate in the future. For you guys that live in GA, in your opinion, what is the best city or town near Atlanta? I know several of you are near there: admin Mike kz, Ryan, & Warren to name a few.

Prices look better than CA and Alpharetta where Ryan lives seems to be the best bang for the buck, but this is all I can gather from the 'net, which is limited to say the least.

Anyone want to chime in?

Davy

East Cobb County is on the border of Fulton County (Alpharetta) and the real estate taxes are less (my lot is an acre and I pay $1300 annually in taxes...small house) and the schools are good (I've got kids). I've lived in Alpharetta and now live in East Cobb; the big issue in Atlanta and the surrounding area is how close you are to work. Traffic here is some of the worst in the nation and can really affect your quality of life. I work in Buckhead and it's a good hour each way....sucks!!!

As compared to California prices, the city of Alpharetta, East Cobb, the city of Woodstock and Cherokee Counties are going to be a dream come true for you.

Try to get in-town while you are here. Virginia Highlands, Little Five Points and Mid-Town are fun.

As compared to California prices, the city of Alpharetta, East Cobb, the city of Woodstock and Cherokee Counties are going to be a dream come true for you.

Try to get in-town while you are here. Virginia Highlands, Little Five Points and Mid-Town are fun.

Good to know; thanks for the info. If I move there, I'd be working out of Roswell, believe it or not. I'm not too sure about distances and all that by looking at a map on the web if I lived in Alpharetta. Roswell looks nice from the website, but a little pricey in comparison. Schools are big issue with me since I have a lot of kids. Also, I'm into paying as little in taxes as possible :mrgreen:

Davy

Roswell is a good location to work in and there are many places that are pretty convenient to live in and have a decent commute. Alpharetta, Marietta, Kennesaw, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Cumming, Duluth, Norcross... Any of these locations has pretty good access to Roswell. Ga-400 has recently added a few lanes, which greatly improved the commute over what it was a year or so ago. At the same time, there are several routes you can take to avoid the expressway.

As Zerrari said, the housing costs and taxes in Fulton County are higher than in surrounding counties, but that's not really a big deal when comparing to California prices. A lot of my coworkers live in Cobb or Forsyth counties, saying they got a lot more house for their money than if they had bought in Fulton county.

I prefer Alpharetta to anywhere I've lived in GA, but have also lived in Dunwoody, Roswell, and Stockbridge (south of Atlanta). The growth in Alpharetta is pretty recent, with most of this area having been farmland ten years ago. Everything has a newness to it, whether its the businesses or the neighborhoods. You'll also like our gas prices:icon47:

Ryan, I used the frapper to find who on HybridZ lived in the Atlanta area, which is how I knew you were there too :D As I have searched the cities/towns, my wife was most impressed with what one could buy in your town specifically. She also likes Marietta a lot too.

Thanks for the replies so far and the info. More choices is better than fewer!!! At least I know where to look if the time comes. I hope the weather will be decent when I get there, especially on the weekend. I was thinking of driving up to Columbia SC to check out the area too, but only for a day.

Davy

Yeah, what Ryan said, let us know when you're coming and we can put together a HybridZ meet.

Haha, it doesn't have to be all that, but a lunch or dinner get together would be good. I'll keep ya informed. This time it's work for me, but I won't be in charge of 5 kids. I think I can spare some time.

Davy

Cool! 2003z(Mike) and I are both near MikeKZ in the southern Gwinnett county area. Now is a good time to buy as house values are stating to jump up pretty good...

I know of MANY hybrid Zs around home that aren't on HBZ.

There is at least one RB20DET powered Z, a couple SBC powered Zs, and a couple unmodified Zs that are daily drivers... There are at least a 3 other high performance L6 guys beside myself too.

All that on the East and Northeast sides.

Davy Z going to atlanta ???

get hold of my good buddy Dave McKenzie. he won't hold any punches. travels quite a bit by van on business ( home repairs and remodels ), seems to know most of ga. at one time he lived here in the bay area and up in grass valley as well as in malibu . was steve mc queen's widow's ( ally mc graw ) next door neighbor. so he can give you some comparisons and if you say you want a like neighborhood, he's likely to know what you are talking about.

owns 3 240z and 3 300zx cars.

he's in loganville, been trying for 4 yrs to get me to move out there from san jose.

he's currently restoring an indy car and racing an ex nissan factory campaigned 300zx.

private message me and i will send you his email address.

how's alex gonna get along with out you ?

wayne

lol if you look at the map im as far north and west of atlanta in dud county(dade) small town but just outside chatt town, nice little town lot of closed minded people but nice overall :)

you guys let me know what you get planned and i might try to make an appearance :)

ron

Unincorporated West Cobb county isn't that bad either...ALOT less traffic than Alpharetta, Fulton & Roswell, lower taxes, fewer people, bigger lots, malls galore, close enough to everything, yet far enough away from the major traffic jambs...just another option. If you think about Kennesaw (just northeast of me), bring your gun...it's the law...seriously...heads of households are supposed to own a gun to purchase a home or property. A recent article sheds some light on it. Click

All in all, location is everything, alot of new homes all over the area, ranging from $150,000 to well over $1,000,000...visit, look around during rush hours and listen to local traffic reports on WSB 640 AM while you're driving. Nightmares occur daily on the interstates, especially 285 & 400. Oh, also remember, Atlanta drivers are instant idiots, just add water... :)

If you think about Kennesaw (just northeast of me), bring your gun...it's the law...seriously...heads of households are supposed to own a gun to purchase a home or property. A recent article sheds some light on it.

Heh heh, my kind of people for sure. I lost ALL my guns in CA due to failure to register them with the state in 2000---I was out of the country, but that's life. I won't get political here.

Warren, that's some great advice. I'll hopefully get out of the office and drive the area the time I'm over there. I'm keeping my mind open if they make me a decent offer; I'll be just another Yankee driving up the local real estate prices. West Cobb county, hmmm.

Wayne, I think the question is what will I do without Auxilary if I move! He's a good friend that always helps me out with IT and computer stuff. He actually built my computer from scratch. Good stuff.

Guys, on-line I have read (hearsay?) that if your child gets a B average in school or better, he can attend a state college and the tuition is paid for? Is that true????

Davy

If you think about Kennesaw (just northeast of me), bring your gun...it's the law...seriously...heads of households are supposed to own a gun to purchase a home or property. A recent article sheds some light on it. Click

That law is not really enforced; it was more of statement to the gun controll lobby. What it boils down to is...we Georgians prefer the concept of mutual deterents rather than being unarmed.

Hey guys,

I'm going to put together a meet at Hooters at Jimmy Carter blvd for

Saturday May 5th, at noon. DavyZ, one of our admins is visiting Atlanta from

California, and maybe moving here. So I thought it would be a perfect

excuse to have a meet. Come on out with your Z, if it's running, or

just come on out to show Davy some Georgia hospitality!

http://hooters.know-where.com/hooters/cgi/site?site=023&address=&design=default&lang

=en&mapid=US

P.S. - I know some of you are not crazy about Hooters. But come on

out to meet Davy, I promise next time it will be some where else!

OTM, it'd be good to meet you and the rest of the boys out there. I understand what you mean--no worries if you don't make it. I would normally never venture into a Hooters, but I'm going this time due to the company here.

Davy