HybridZ

Bad Oil Leak on a 95 KA24e

Guest dudecow

Guest dudecow

New here. I have a 95 nissan pickup truck 4Cyl with the ka24e engine it has a really bad oil leak, were talking a quart every other week to a month. It only leaks after running for few minutes then will continue untill you turn off the motor. My question is I cant find were its coming from I checked all around the oil pan nothing I cleaned it off and see some oil behind the alternater but thats in the way to see. do you guys think its the front engine seal or cam or crank shaft seal? thanks for your input.

Guest dudecow

in the red circle is the area that the oil leak is coming from. this is not a pic of my truck engine, found it online to try and help me figure this out before i start tearing things apart. What is that piece inside the red circle in the upper part. I know the alternater goes below it. and the leak is some were in there.

I'm looking at the red circle in your photo and there are several possibilities for an oil leak in that area.

Check your oil filter and make sure it is snug. Check the oil sending unit to see if it is leaking around the base.(its the small silver cylinder above the blue oil filter in your photo).

The crank pulley has a seal behind it that can leak, but it probably won't leak as fast as your describing.

At the bottom of the red circle you will see a little bright aluminum casing. That is the oil pump. Make sure it is tight or hasn't been cracked.

The front timing chain cover can leak in that area. There are a couple of small seals in that area that are sandwiched between the timing chain cover and the block. These seals go around the oil passages that move oil to the oil pump. If they are deteriorated they could make a big mess.

r

Guest dudecow

at the bottom of the red circle you will see a little bright aluminum casing. That is the oil pump. Make sure it is tight or hasn't been cracked.

The front timing chain cover can leak in that area. There are a couple of small seals in that area that are sandwiched between the timing chain cover and the block. These seals go around the oil passages that move oil to the oil pump. If they are deteriorated they could make a big mess.

r

All of these sound like a fun days work. If it is any of these are they simple fixes meaning can I do them but it will take some time or we looking at shop time? Thanks for your guys input

All of these sound like a fun days work. If it is any of these are they simple fixes meaning can I do them but it will take some time or we looking at shop time?

None of this is rocket science. Most of the fixes can be easily done by an amateur, the front timing chain cover will probably take more than a day. If you do remove the cover, you might as well replace the timing chain at the same time.

Put the ole' truck in the air, drop the alternator so you can see, and determine where the leak is! Once you find the leak, buy a Chiltons manual so you can see what you will have to do to fix it. If it is beyond your space/tools/time, then go to a shop. If you have the facilities, tools, and luxury of time....fix it yourself.

The oil sending unit is a very common leak source. It's a simple $15 and 20 min fix. Have you 100% ruled out the PS system? Does the fluid have any reddish color to it? Hopefully it's not the front cover -- thats probably the suckiest option to repair.

Your best bet is to clean everything really well, then fire it up and wait for the leak.

- Greg -

Guest dudecow

I have cleaned and found that the leak is somewhere close to the alternator. I have the tools but only 2 days. so I will see on Wednesday when I can tear into it. Nope its not a reddish color its definitely oil. I have the manual so keep you guys updated thanks

Guest Triver_rocker

I have almost the exact same symptoms for my truck, but the leak may be even worse. Right now oil covers almost everything on the under belly of the front of my truck, its almost as if there is a spray. Was your trucking making as big of a mess? Or is my situation different? I haven't gotten the chance to clean things up and track it down yet, and I will have to remove the gaurd that obscures the view of the engine from the bottom.

Guest dudecow
I have almost the exact same symptoms for my truck, but the leak may be even worse. Right now oil covers almost everything on the under belly of the front of my truck, its almost as if there is a spray. Was your trucking making as big of a mess? Or is my situation different? I haven't gotten the chance to clean things up and track it down yet, and I will have to remove the gaurd that obscures the view of the engine from the bottom.

O yes the entire underbelly is caked in oil this leak has gone on for years and I'm finally sick of putting oil in all the time. It gets that dirty under there cause of when you drive it sprays back and all over but when you are parked it just drips down. I found out its the front crankshaft oil seal. Only 11 bucks for the new seal. From what the guys told me at auto zone and the dealership is this is a common problem plus I had a friend who just told me that when he had the same truck like mine he had that seal replaced and no problems after that.

Guest dudecow

OK two days later its fixed but dang what a journey. First off it wasn't the 11 doller front crankshaft seal (the easy fix). Once I took the alt and fan off I could clearly see it was the the front cover or timing chain cover that was leaking out the side (which is in the red circle on the picture above). So at this point since I had everything off I figured what the hay. So this required me to take off everything attached the front cove the oil sending unit the distributor all the pulleys and brackets the oil pan and the radiator to get front pulley off and to have some room to work. The 5 minutes my friend was there to help he broke the crankshaft pulley so we had to go buy another one and then we needed all new hoses cause they were all overdue and the radiator developed a leak so had to buy a new one of the those. and then we need a new oil pan gasket and the front timing chain gasket set. OK so I sealed everything back up put it all back together and put in new oil and antifreeze in then started it up but no dice. I was F-N pissed. I forgot about the timing system the pulley needing to be in a certain spot when you put the distributor on so basically i flipped my distributor around and it was done. took it around the block and no more leak. Sept for a few residual drops hiding by the fly wheel but know is Aok.Total time on project 25 hours. Total cost of project 400 bucks. 160 was on gaskets, oil, antifreeze, hoses, oil and gas treatment, belts. 140 on the radiator and then at the salvage yard 100 on a used pulley and a rear taillight and oil fill cap. Look on my wife's face to see me black in oil priceless.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Triver_rocker

Well, it turns out there is a hole in my oil pan. My friend said that this is probably due a piston rod cap coming off which caused the rod to drop and punch through my oil pan. So yeah.. No easy fix from what I gather.:icon50:

Hole in the oil pan? In your Neon or KA?

Rod cap came off but no head damage? No knock? Motor frozen?....or does the car still run? This isn't making sense yet.

Anyhow, I feel for you.....:cry2:

Guest dudecow

Thank goodness thats not me. sorry. my neons leak was a loose fitting all I did was tighten it and no more leak so far. that hole in oil pan sounds like a real problem its not to hard to get at all from under your truck. good luck!!!