HybridZ

Why im choosing L28ET - Opinions?

DeusEx

So as some may know after a year and a half in Canada i have my car back on the road.

Took off the P90 head after a timing chain failure and replaced it with an N42 to up the compression (F54 block, flatop pistons) and brought over the lump cam. The instant improvement in torque was amazing and for a while i was very pleased. The extra oomf would nudge it alittle closer to the very low 13sec mark and thats enough for me. But i have since found that the 20ltrs/100km im getting is just too much for me. Passengers complain about the fuel smell (Triple 45mm webers) and its a pig to drive around at anything but wide open.

So to get around this i considered selling it and buying something else. I couldnt do it.

:?: Then i though about an Rb20/25 conversion. Its just too much money when im not chasing big HP

:?: Then i thought about RB30. Easy to come by and cheap in Australia, put on an RB25 and mods keep going.

:?: But then i thought, why go to that trouble when i can just Turbo the L28.

Its a very rare thing to do in Australia, but i do have an FJ20 GB, P90 head, efi inlet manifold and Turbo manifold to make this idea more sensible. Plus my block has been balanced and blueprinted by previous owner.

So after alot of research (particularly the stickies in here) i found that it would be very cheap and easy to re-valve the p90 (has a slight port work already), ditch the webers and just bolt on the standard exhaust/inlet manifold. Im sure it would have to deliver.around 250-300HP which is more than what im after.

I know that in the long run the RB will make more power and be more customizable, but because im not chasing that i think the L28ET would suit my needs.

Any thoughts?

i think its a great idea. Do something that you would like for yourself instead of what other people want done. If you feel this is the way to go, then do so. Plus since you say that an l28et is rare to see around, youll get bonus points for being original:grin:.

oh btw, id be interested in those webers if you decide to ditch them:p

Hey DeusEx, I'm in Australia and have pretty much gone through the same thought process as you. I'm in the process of pulling the engine out now to give it a rebuild, but just starting to find it is all the little bits and pieces that are killing me in cost. My main thought/advice is just to keep this in mind as all the stuff like oil feed lines and stuff like that adds up. At least your a couple of steps ahead and you bottom end has already been balanced.

Are you planning on running an aftermarket computer? I'm sure if you size a turbo right you'll gave no problems getting 250-300hp

We just finished swapping in a 1982 L28ET in my 1977 280Z. Runs at 11.5psi and we estimate it puts out around 220 rwhp. It's a ton of fun! I like it because the car is built for long highway drives to California, so I will get decent gas mileage and still have plenty of power when I need it. My only advice is spend a lot of time researching the electrical on a turbo swap. I lucked out...the fellow helping me is an electrical engineer...I think by the time he had the turbo harness installed he had two wires backward, otherwise went great. But from our discussions, it sounds like it could have been a real mess.