HybridZ

ANOTHER thread on batteries (and boxes)

e_racer1999

well, i've been looking at either an Optima or an Odyssey for my Z. I'm going to be running a 10.5 CR on an L28. I plan on relocating to behind the pass. seat.

I've read about 6 threads on the subject of batteries and boxes, but it's time for some definitive answers. I've heard a little this, a little that, etc.

My car is going to be a street/SCCA car. I have found the rules for NHRA that say that all batteries must be separate from the driver's compartment.

Anyone have any rules or experience with SCCA? Do dry cell and gel cell batteries need to be in a SEALED box? does it need to be vented?

Another Q, would this one from Summit do the job? It is not seald and not externally vented.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG1200A&N=700+400304+307185+115&autoview=sku

sum-g1200a.jpg

any other recommendations? I'm on kind of a tight budget (spening 1050 at MSA on sunday to get the car ready to run)

That is the exact box that I have in my car and I have an optima battery in it. The battery does not fit will in that box and I would not recomend it. I do drag race at Qualcomm and I autox at Qualcomm and I have never had any issues with the box as far as tech inspections go, but they require a battery cut out switch for any battery that is not in the stock location. Since you are in San Diego we could probably hook up some time in the near future and you can take a look at mine to see what I am talking about before spending any money or time on that one.

Dragonfly