HybridZ

Projector headlights, do you need a cover for them?

80LS1T

I am looking at making a bi-xenon projector headlight set up and I was wondering if there is a need for a cover for the projector lens. I am going to have headlight covers but I don't if thats going to be enough. The lens that I'm looking at appear to be sealed. If I do need a lens does anyone know where I can get a 7" clear lens from that isn't too tall? I really dont want them sticking way out under the headlight covers.

Best part of this whole deal is I am getting the bulbs, ignitors, and wiring for freeeeeeeee! I work at a Nissan dealership and I just had to replace a pair of 350Z headlights and the new ones came with all of this stuff on them so the old stuff is all mine!

Guy

♥♥♥♥ i need a job at a nissan dealership. If they're sealed, you're probably fine. if not, you might be best off going with a flat piece of lexan or something, cheap, easy to find, and lots of places do custom work with it.

but if they appear to be sealed, i'd think your headlight covers would be enough... just put them on and start dumping buckets of water on them, see how they hold up under worst case scenario.

Well I wont be driving in the rain if I can help it. Washing the car will be the most water it sees.

Yeah working at a dealership can have it's perks but dealing with dumbass customer with dumbass complaints sucks! LOL

the only issue would b stones flying and cracking the lense yeah? if so the headlight covers should do the job.

i'm not understanding ur question regarding a 7" lense that doesn't stick out to much...mayb i'm just tired....ebay?

if you wanted to, you could just buy a set of halogens, and a couple cobalt drill bits and just drill the backs of them out, that would look fu cking sweet, and totally stock from a distance (so long as the lights weren't on, haha)

i'm not understanding ur question regarding a 7" lense that doesn't stick out to much...mayb i'm just tired....ebay?

I mean like this....HID-XD6024_sml1.gif. I want a more flush look. I think am going to end up making my own bezels out of fiberglass to house the projector.

if you wanted to, you could just buy a set of halogens, and a couple cobalt drill bits and just drill the backs of them out, that would look fu cking sweet, and totally stock from a distance (so long as the lights weren't on, haha)

I don't know how well that would work as far as light output in the right direction. I think that would be similar to installing a Xenon/HID kit that is illegal? I want functioning progjector xenon lights.

Guy

it sounds like ur both talking about what a couple of guys including myself have done? some crappy h4 headlights off ebay with projectors mounted in them. the only issue is the depth of the projectors as has been stated in a couple of threads. the thread i started has pictures showing just how easy the whole "retrofit" is to do

I think am going to end up making my own bezels out of fiberglass to house the projector

y dont u just make ur own whole headlight bucket and mount two projectors like halway down each bucket? i know its what i would do if i could b bothered...but my rear lights need some treatment first along with a rear spoiler, just bought myself an s15 gt spec one, i like and hate the look of it on the lines of a zed at the same time lol

You wont need a seperate cover for the projectors as long as the headlight covers are water tight. You do not want water getting onto the HID bulb and ballasts.

I managed to get my projectors to sit flush inside the modified h4 housings w/o doing any cutting in the fenderwell. It was a lot of work but definitely worth it.

Here's a comparison pick w/ the projector assembly on the drivers side and the stock light on the passangers.

DSCN0522.sized.jpg