HybridZ

Newbie here

280zx016.jpg

This is my 1983 280zx. It all original, na, 5spd, bought it with 64,xxx miles, it now has 71,xxx (daily driver).

Now for a newb question (might have missed it searching), how reliable is a 3.1L l28? I've heard the overheat easily while idling.

that depends on your cooling system. Are you sure thats not a turbo ZX? cause It looks like you have a turbo hood vent? But I could be wrong. I'm not as good with the details of the ZX's.

any engine will over heat (at idle or at speed) If your radiator is to small or you dont have good fans or you water pump sucks. You can keep th 3.1 cool.

Great looking ZX, Nice score!

Matt-

naw, later NA 280ZXs came with the same hood. The recent aerodynamic testing just *might* explain why... :)

Speeking of aerodynamic testing. . . . I made it to 120, and have since had the radiator, heater core and heater core control valves replaced. . . Now I can't go above 100 (limiter) and my engines temp gauge goes to halfway if I do 85 for one minute. That's why I was asking about the 3.1. I figure, well, I'm and idiot and ruined this engine, so let's make it bigger. (Had this car almost 2 years)

I know a few people that put significant miles on their stroker L6s. I think a lot of it comes down to tuning. Most people that build a stroker are going for "big" horsepower. One guy has a 3.2 with a stock/stock-ish cam and that thing can sit in traffic all day without problems. That car does have an upgraded radiator, but it's dead reliable.

I know a few people that put significant miles on their stroker L6s. I think a lot of it comes down to tuning. Most people that build a stroker are going for "big" horsepower. One guy has a 3.2 with a stock/stock-ish cam and that thing can sit in traffic all day without problems. That car does have an upgraded radiator, but it's dead reliable.

That's good to know. I'm not going for huge performance, I just don't like flooring it to keep up with traffic starting from a stop.