HybridZ

replace the entire strut housing for coilovers?

So instead of sectioning the struts housings, is there a reason not to replace the entire strut housing portion of the assembly? On my 240z suspension front and rear it measures out to 2.00" OD, wall thickness, atleast on the front, was measured at .100", which explained why both the BZ3015 and BZ3099 measured to have OD of 1.70" and have some (.100") of wiggle room.

Why not replace the entire length with 2.00" OD .120" wall (1.76" ID) tube? I have access to a lathe so getting the threads for the gland nut turned it not an issue. Also I can't image taking away some of the play the stuts currently have in the housings is a bad idea.

Any reason NOT to do that?

The play in the strut housing is not a bad thing. Any slop is eliminated when you torque down the gland nut, and you're left with room for grease or oil to prevent the strut from seizing in the housing. I don't see a benefit to putting a thicker wall tube in there other than maybe a little more bend resistance and it will just make the suspension heavier. If you really wanted the stronger tube you could just get the 280z stuff and not have to machine as much.

well the situation is mildly complicated, but the long and short of it is I have 3 of the thicker 280z rear strut housing assemblies, and one 240z....and the GC coilover kit for the 240z size. So , I am going to chop off the thicker 280z housings, see what the ID is at the bottom of the housing (it should be between 1.9 and 2.0", bore that bitch out until the 2"OD 240z sized tube will slide in to place and reweld it just like it came from the factory...so I'll have a one piece strut housing shortened to match the struts.

Should be an interesting learning experience if nothing else....