HybridZ

backspacing question

So I'm wondering what you guys would consider the proper backspacing for my GTO replica. The distance in the rear from the hub to the side of the car is around 8" ( the fenders change width the heighth that you measure them at) and the front is about 6.5". I was thinking of running 8" rims in the front and 10" in the rear. The wheels I'm getting are the RWD kind, so they're deep dish 15"s. It seems that the tires on the rim generally increase the width about an inch. I don't want wheels and tires that sit in too far but I also really don't want them to stick out past the fender. So what do you guys think?

I used 8" front and 10" rear Dayton wire wheels on my car with Dunlop P205R70’s on the front and P225R70’s on the rear. They don't stick out but they sure fill up the wheel wells.

236622_7_full.jpg

It's hard to measure backspacing on the car but the front's are around a 5.5" deep dish and the rears are 8".

Sorry for the confusion. I should have said the fronts have a negative offset of about 5.5" and rears have negative offset of 8".

It's hard to measure backspacing on the car but the front's are around a 5.5" deep dish and the rears are 8".

Is that a typo? Base on the photo, if the 10" rear wheels have 8" of backspacing, then this leaves 3" to go forward, and the photo appears to show a lot more than that (5" at least, if not more), not to mention how you get more than 6" of backspacing on any S30 suspension even with short coil-overs.

BTW, your GTO looks great!!!

Hey thanks speedracer. Yeah I got your drift the first time I just figured you meant the opposite. I just ordered the wheels from centerline. They cost me 1000 but the should fit pretty well. I got 15x8 fronts and 15x10 rears both with 3.5in backspacing. To tell you the truth I've spent a year trying to find the perfect wheel for the perfect price, but unfortunately 4x 4.5 lug pattern is a hard thing to come by with 10 in width. For anything for a reasonable price it seemed impossible. I thought about honda wheel adapters but I thought that the adapter would have to offset itself so much that I wouldn't be very stable. I really think that this was my best option for the price and still have a decent looking wheel.