HybridZ

LT1 conversion update... welding day

Its welding day! My buddy Chris came over today armed with his MIG welder and a ton of gas and wire. The plan was to weld in the fuel tank frame I made for the Z28 tank ,

tank-frame3.jpg

weld in the transmission mount reinforcement plate floor plates,

tranny-mount-plate2.jpg

the dropped tunnel plate and brackets I made to lower the 4L60E shifter

shifter-cover2.jpg

and weld on the Baddog frames.

baddog4.jpg

It was a very long day especially for Chris who obviously did most of the work.

baddog-install2.jpg

It all went pretty smoothly with only minor adjustments to the tank frame to allow the new floor boards to be installed. The Baddog frames took almost 6 hours to position and weld in, I had previously cleaned all the undercoating and stripped the interior. We used a couple hydraulic jacks and some 2x4s to get them as tight to the floor as we could. Chris then clamped them tight against the frame with "C" clamps and stitch welded them into place moving the clamps as he went down each frame. I will clean this all up and apply a coat of POR-15 for rust protection.

deja, what shifter are you going to use?

Its just the stock Z28 shifter but I am going to install a Twist Machine paddle shifter. You still need a "normal" shifter with the paddle shifter because it doesn't have a park, neutral or reverse.

i thought it was going to be controlled from an ps3 controller or something! j/k. you should of built something more like a bolt on instead of welding the plate permanantly on there. that mean you have to cut it off if you plan to change it in time.

i thought it was going to be controlled from an ps3 controller or something! j/k. you should of built something more like a bolt on instead of welding the plate permanantly on there. that mean you have to cut it off if you plan to change it in time.

The paddle shifter is shifted by a controller but it only works for forward gears, no reverse, no park.

SHOULD HAVE? hmmmm. Well that may be but I doubt I'll change it. Besides the transmission tunnel had been butchered up by the previous owner and since its part of the unibody I decided welding in some strong metal was a good choice. The only hole the 4L60E needs is for the control cable. Making something more complex that would bolt in and might be useable for who know what in the furture seems pointless to me. Its not like it i would be difficult to modify if I ever wanted to.

t56 comes to mind when the auto just isnt enough!!!

My days of dealing with a stick are long gone, been there done that including some road racing. This car is a daily driver and highway cruiser. The car had a 5 speed before I decided to upgrade to the LT1. I went with the automatic by choice.