HybridZ

s30 l28et swap help

Guest HBZ81

Guest HBZ81

Hey all. So my friend and I are in the process of changing over our 1982 280zx FI Turbo Motor into our 1971 240z body, and we have some questions. We are following the tutorials found on yadamnfool.com, and a lot of the harnesses that are shown there do not seem to match the harnesses that we have pulled out of the 280zx engine bay. That, and the tutorial does not seem to have some wire routing areas listed.

Our main concern right now is with the FI/Fuel Pump Relay, as the tutorial does not tell where the blue/red wire is to be routed to, only that it controls the on/off of the fuel pump and the 5 sec. prime segment. Where does this wire need to be run in order to work properly? Also, On the Fusible Links, it tells that the brown and green wires are to go to the (+) terminal on the Starter. Do both wires connect to the same spot that the large power wire connects, or do they connect to the spade so that they get power while the car is being started? The tutorial seems to be confusing with this.

And on the ignition harness connector, where do the 2 black wires go?

We have looked at the thread http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103728

and

http://www.yadamnfool.com/turbo_z_conversion/s130_zxt_to_s30_z.htm

Thanks in advance

wow cool, that helps a ton... so the only thing I have left needed to explain is the Fuel Pump/EFI Relay... We are using a push-button starter for the fuel pump and starter system, so do we need to keep the Fuel Pump Relay in tact or can we remove it? I am looking at it and it seems all that it supplies is a power to the relay, a ground for the relay, power to the fuel pump, and the prime wire... doesn't seem needed if my fuel pump isn't even connected to the ECU...

what's the difference between turning off the key in an accident and flipping a switch that glows red when the fuel pump is on?

hey where is Plug 3 on the wiring harness? Can't seem to find that, although it doesn't seem to affect me any since I am not using A/C, have an aftermarket water temp gauge, and don't care about the neutral safety switch...

and then with the Fuseable Links, what purpose does this serve? If only the brown and green wires are connected to anything and all the other wires are cut, what is the point of leaving it intact?

what's the difference between turning off the key in an accident and flipping a switch that glows red when the fuel pump is on?

hey where is Plug 3 on the wiring harness? Can't seem to find that, although it doesn't seem to affect me any since I am not using A/C, have an aftermarket water temp gauge, and don't care about the neutral safety switch...

and then with the Fuseable Links, what purpose does this serve? If only the brown and green wires are connected to anything and all the other wires are cut, what is the point of leaving it intact?

1. the difference is that if you roll the car in the ditch and get knocked in the head you won't remember to wake up and turn the fuel pump off. Meanwhile you have a severered fuel line spewing fuel all over the place... The emergency vehicles arrive in time to put out a fireball where there were no survivors.

2. Plug 3 (the one that controls the fuel pump the way it was meant to be used.. is near the head temp plug/battery/fusible links

3. Fusible links serve the purpose to burn out if there is a dead short, and not start a fire, but it sounds like you won't be needing those either.

All the more reason to be using that built in safety feature. At the very least I hope you have a master battery cut off switch mounted on the outside of the vehicle. If you were to discuss this issue with the tech inspection guys at whatever track you are running at.. I'm sure they would agree.

Guest HBZ81
All the more reason to be using that built in safety feature. At the very least I hope you have a master battery cut off switch mounted on the outside of the vehicle. If you were to discuss this issue with the tech inspection guys at whatever track you are running at.. I'm sure they would agree.

I understand your concern for safety, as I feel safety is a good thing. But that's not the issue/question here. The issue/question is do we need to keep the Fuel Pump Relay in tact or can we remove it? We WILL be adding a cutoff at a later time (before it I actually start driving it). For now we're just working on this wiring.

The ecu only sends a signal to tell the fuel pump relay to turn on... it does not know anything else. So... if you were to hard wire the fuel pump to a toggle switch and achieve fuel pressure in the rail, then yes the engine would run without the fuel pump relay assuming everything else needed was working. Basically you need:

AFM

CAS

Coil/ignitor

TPS

CHTS

injectors

ECU

Battery

EFI relay

ok that's what we are doing then... one thing we are thinking about doing is, and I don't know if any cars that have this aside from the Ford Probe, but they have a relay in the hatch area that is wired basically as a "jolting fuse" for the Fuel Pump. It is mounted to the chassis and has a little button to complete the circuit to the fuel pump, and if the car is hit (or sometimes if you hit a large bump) the button pops out, cutting the fuel...

Now, it turns out the Fuel Pump Relay is not our problem, but it was the EFI Relay. When I first saw the how-to we thought they were the same relay so I clipped it off since we had the fuel pump hardwired. Now we cannot find where to wire it back in. Without this, I have heard that the ECU will not turn on with the accessory power, is this true? What other downsides are there to this relay not being intact? Can anyone tell me exactly where in the harness it is so I can re-attach it?

Thanks

The EFI relay receives a signal to activate from the ecu, but the output from the relay also goes back to the ecu (sort of like having two stages of the ecu turning on) So yes, with out that relay, the ecu will be a dead stone. The efi relay is also responsible for powering up several devices. Of which the only ones of ablsolute importance are the CAS and AFM, as it provides them with power. The wire that doubles back from the efi relay to the ecu goes to pin#6

hmm... then can someone show me a pic of where this wire bundle goes in with the rest of the wires, or if I can be told where each wire goes so I can wire it up myself... clipped it thinking it was Fuel Pump and now that we actually need it I can't figure out where the hell it goes back in... was it part of the EFI harness or is it on the other side of the plug from the Fuel Pump wiring?

• 8 months later...

yeah man i don't think you'll get an answer or any pics about how to wire the fuel pump anywhere on here... i've searched far and wide and still haven't found anything.... i'm thinking about just using the fuel pump relay out of a 280zxt in my 76 280z and seeing if that would work..