HybridZ

need a little advice on tranny's

Rhnmsf

ok i have tried searching but i couldnt exactly find what i am looking for,

i have a 78 280z with a great engine and tranny with only 60k miles, a new clutch, but the frame is bent.....so what i want to do is try and get a 240z with a bad engine and swap my l28 into it....what im wondering is what transmission is better? should i stick with the 240z 4 speed or swap it with my 5 speed.... this has been bugging me for a while and some advice would be great

Thanks

Ryan

I never really liked my 4 spd for the street, like GrayZee stated 1st was low and 4th kept the revs up on the highway. I have not driven a 5 speed I6 Z either.

Is the S30 5spd a T-5? If so then it's very upgradable and can hold alot more power than the old 4. You can change the internal gearing etc. relitivly cheaply.

The T-5 was used in some of the ZX's. I believe the 5 speed he has is the 78 five speed.

Im finding that I will probably put in my 82 5 speed to get alittle better mileage on the highway. Ill jsut have to get a little more power to keep the acceleration the same. :)

I have an 82 5 speed and 4.11 and it's like having a close ratio box. But I'd only suggest the 4.11 if a) your engine makes useful power past 6k, and B) you like to shift a lot.

If not, then I think a 3.9 might be better.

I hate the pre 80 5 speed with a passion! The RPM drop from 2nd to 3rd is killer going up the twisties!

I blew mine up (going very very very fast) and now have a 4 speed. My MPG have gone down 5 mpg...

I want to put in either the 240sx 5 speed or the late 5 speed.

Also, the turbo T-5 is not a WC T-5, it's only marginally stronger then the Nissan unit and the built up gearsets are no longer available from what I hear...

Mario