HybridZ

Turbo V8 and Nitrous guys Guys Need some advice

Engine is a SBC 406with forged crank, rods, hyperpunetic pistons, cast iron vortec heads, and a victor jr intake manifold. I need only to make the amount of Hp to get this Z32 into the mid 9.5's. So with that said. I want to run a single turbo setup with intercooler. I am not worry about lag since I will have the ability to build boost off the line since I am running an automatic. And if it does become an issue, that's what they mad nitrous for. I already plan on using a CSU blow through carb. They lead on blow through carb setups. What kind of pistons, compression ratio wise do I need to run? What kind of cam? Now Nitrous guys, what would I need to do to the motor to get this car to do the same thing but using nitrous? Simplicity is always the route I like to go. But I need to be in that 9.5 or less range in the 1/4 mile. And sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Just my opinion neighbor ( I live in Washington NC) I don't think you'll get there with Vortec heads. They are a great budget head but to run those numbers it wil take more flow than they can produce in my opinion. Spend the money on a good set of heads like AR's and you'll be headed in the right direction. I also question running alot of boost or nitrous on Hypereutectic pistons as I hear the shatter from swelling under extreme pressure. I love a 406, great torque monster for a budget..... but it takes some horses to run that fast too.... :burnout:

Just my opinion neighbor ( I live in Washington NC) I don't think you'll get there with Vortec heads.

I agree with Ledphoot you will need better heads. My combination in the 260Z "little tire car" is a 415ci small block Chevy with the following: Bowtie Block, Eagle 3.75 stroke crank, 6'' Eagle stroker rods, Diamond 13 to 1 nitrous pistons, Total Seal nitrous rings ( top is gapless ), Comp cam (.900 base circle ) duration is 296 In/308 Ex at .050 268 In/278 Ex, lift is .661 In/.672 Ex on a 112 lobe separation. My heads are Dart 227 cnc with 60cc chambers and flow 325 In at 700 lift and 225 Ex at 700 lift. Super Victor intake with a Chuck Nuytten 1050cfm (4150) carb and a Nitrous Express/ HVH Gemini Twin plate system (on a 150hp tune up). It has a 350 turbo transmission with a 3000 stall nitrous converter, 370 rear gear, on a 27x10.50x15 M/T ET Street. At 3200 lbs w/driver the car has ran 10.50 1/4 mile at 128.00 mph on motor and with the 150hp on the plate it has ran 9.48 at 145.26 mph. What ever you do you are going to need 675 to 700hp at the wheels to run 9.50's. If you have any questions give me a call 1-423-735-7223 Phillips Peformance (shop) or 1-423-388-0016 (cell).

Jon

Guest Gr8White

Ditto on the Vortec heads and Hyper pistons. Those heads will never make the HP and the pistons wouldn't survive it anyway. Assuming a 2800 lb. car, it will take in the area of 650-700 rear wheel HP to run 9.50's. Not a small feat by any means. Relatively easy however with a good set of heads. How much does your car weigh with you in it?

Just my opinion neighbor ( I live in Washington NC) I don't think you'll get there with Vortec heads.

I agree with Ledphoot you will need better heads. My combination in the 260Z "little tire car" is a 415ci small block Chevy with the following: Bowtie Block' date=' Eagle 3.75 stroke crank, 6'' Eagle stroker rods, Diamond 13 to 1 nitrous pistons, Total Seal nitrous rings ( top is gapless ), Comp cam (.900 base circle ) duration is 296 In/308 Ex at .050 268 In/278 Ex, lift is .661 In/.672 Ex on a 112 lobe separation. My heads are Dart 227 cnc with 60cc chambers and flow 325 In at 700 lift and 225 Ex at 700 lift. Super Victor intake with a Chuck Nuytten 1050cfm (4150) carb and a Nitrous Express/ HVH Gemini Twin plate system (on a 150hp tune up). It has a 350 turbo transmission with a 3000 stall nitrous converter, 370 rear gear, on a 27x10.50x15 M/T ET Street. At 3200 lbs w/driver the car has ran 10.50 1/4 mile at 128.00 mph on motor and with the 150hp on the plate it has ran 9.48 at 145.26 mph. What ever you do you are going to need 675 to 700hp at the wheels to run 9.50's. If you have any questions give me a call 1-423-735-7223 Phillips Peformance (shop) or 1-423-388-0016 (cell).

Jon[/quote']

Oh my god.....you are an information source I have been looking for almost 6 months. Thank you so much, I will be calling you soon. Where are you out of? I would love to go see your shop in person. I'm all about a field trip.

The car wieghs 3200lbs roughly. I already planned on putting in forged pistons. I just needed to know what type. And I pretty much igured those heads couldn't get me too far. Hence the reason I am here asking you guys. Now can I get into the 10.3-10.0 range with nitrous instead of having to dump so much much into a turbo setup?

Oh my god.....you are an information source I have been looking for almost 6 months. Thank you so much' date=' I will be calling you soon. Where are you out of? I would love to go see your shop in person. I'm all about a field trip.[/quote']

My shop Phillips Peformance Auto is located in Erwin, Tennessee 37650. It is about 30 min from Bristol, Tn. and 60 min from Ashville, NC. You as well as anyone else are welcome to come by my shop anytime. I have both of our 260 Z ( Little Tire Z and Big Tire Z Cars in the shop ), just give me a call 1-423-735-RACE or 1-423-388-0016 cell :icon14:

Guest Gr8White
The car wieghs 3200lbs roughly.

Yikes, at 3200# it's going to take around 740 rear wheel hp to get that 9.50, but this is just a theoretical number based on weight and HP. It doesn't take into effect any other factors such as C/D, etc. They tend to be a bit off one way or another, but will get you in the ballpark. Either way you are going to need a power adder to get there....If you do decide to hit a roller dyno, take the HP number with a grain of salt, especially on an auto w/ high stall, these are notoriously inaccurate with high HP cars.

For instance, my 5.0 liter Mustang will dyno in the high 700's and weighs 3250 with me in it. The car will run 9.0's @ better than 150 mph but when using a formula to convert ET to HP, suggests around 900 hp. What is really interesting was changing out my stall converter. When the boost came on, it was blowing straight through the converter with a 3800 rpm stall. Tightening up the converter to a "loose" 3100 rpm resulted in a 150 hp gain on the dyno. The car did pick up some ET, but not to the tune of 150 hp!! (mathematically speaking)...

Dyno the engine on the stand and subtract a 20% loss (to be conservative for your HP figure) and you should be in the ballpark for real world RWHP.