HybridZ

Countershaft bearing troubles

Hyuri

Okay, so I bought an '83 280ZX with a bad transmission, and then a bit later picked up a ('76?) 5-speed. I was getting ready to stuff that sucker in a few days ago and noticed that the front cover plate had a hole in it. Well, I just happened to have all the parts from the old tranny, so I figured I'd just use that plate, right?

Unfortunately, when I dug it out of the box I noticed that it was pretty chewed up inside, at about the same place - the indentation for the front countershaft bearing.

I was thinking about taking it to school and seeing if I could talk someone in the welding shop to build it up so I could machine it back out, or just cleaning it up and getting a thicker shim. Would I be better off with a new cover?

Also, the bearing only has 3 balls left in it. Any suggestions on replacing it withough pulling the box apart? I'm hoping to just replace that now, and then do a complete rebuild this fall. :shifty:

05-12-07_1746_thumb.jpg

05-12-07_1747_thumb.jpg

05-12-07_1751_thumb.jpg

05-12-07_1752_thumb.jpg

05-12-07_1753_thumb.jpg

. . . where do you suppose the rest of the balls . . . went?

Based on the lack of balls rolling out when I drained it (and tilted it around to make sure everything came out) and the size of the hole? Into the bellhousing.

So I can't just rig up something to hold it straight and use a press? Crud.