HybridZ

300zxt MAF / ECU Swap

I've run across an 85 300zxt in a local junk yard. Coincidently, I had been reading about the 300zxt MAF / ECU within the last few days. I've searched the archives both here and on zcar and can't find the answer to this question....will the conversion only work with an 84 300zxt MAF, or will an 85 MAF work just as well? All the posts I've found either used the 84 MAF or didn't mention the year MAF used. MSA and Black Dragon list just one part number for the 84-89 300zx/t.

Thanks in advance,

If the MAF is the same(having same parts# for different years seems to imply so), then you should be able to use any year of 300ZXT ECU provided that you are running stock-ish boost.

If you are going to run higher boost, you will need to reprogram the ECU. 87~89 ECU's are easier to make changes since some scalar values are stored in the memory. Global value changes(for example : after changing to bigger injectors) can be made by changing just one value. With earlier ECU, you will need to change ALL values in the map because those scalar values are constant.

Back when I was searching for ECU to use, I asked about using maxima ECU's. Turns out maxima ones are ok as long as it is reprogrammed for turbo applications. Maxima use a smaller MAF but since it is going to be reprogrammed anyway, it doesn't increase any work load. This is the thread about my ECU search :

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104958&highlight=maxima+ecu

I strongly suggest that you talk to the people that helped me in the above thread. Very helpful. The thread also teaches one how to distinguish between a "easily tuned" ECU and a "harder to tune" ECU.

84-86 Z31T ecu's will work. 87-89 were programmed differently. You can still use the latter, but you will have to make changes from the 84-86 ecu write up.

84-85 Z31 Turbo ECUs work.

86-89 Z31 Turbo ECUs use a different oxygen sensor, but if you swapped the O2 sensor, you could still use them.

Any non turbo ECU will work, but it would have to be reprogrammed. I ran an '88 N/A ECU with '89 Turbo maps.

I believe all Z31 MAFs are pretty much the same.