HybridZ

Z unibody Chassis reinforcement

Guest Anonymous

Guest Your Car is Slow

So the consensus is to completely remove the old steel and replace? Or simply cut the old frame open and weld new steel inside it?

Guest Your Car is Slow

See..while that appeals to the "Man that is certainly the best way to go" side of me. the "I want this damn car done and running asap" side of me wants the easy way :D

I guess now is the best time to do it with everything out of the car.

YCiS, yes, do it now, while it's easy. It'll be a lot more work if you come to your senses and decide to do it later.

BTW....

I used 2 x 3 x .086 tubing to do mine. There are a couple of pics (on my www below) of my subframes taken while the car was on it's side, on the rotisserie.

Tim

Guest Your Car is Slow

That was my next question...assuming id have to do this in my garage/driveway up on jackstands....will a single side support the car?

Meaning if I start at the engine bay...putting the car up on jackstands (where to support it might be an issue) removing the pass side framerail in the engine bay and replacing it...would the car simply fall apart given no more support by that rail? or would it survive for the 30min or so it would take me to weld in the new support. More imortantly..would it flex so that my new welded in support would basically lock in a warped frame :/

I guess i could use a series of jackstands to support under the front suspension..then again just behind the firewall to make sure it doesnt move at all.

Do one side at a time and support the length of the car with some 2x4s and jack stands...as many as you can until the frame rail is at least tacked in a dozen or so places.

When I had mine on it's side on the rotisserie, I supported the car in the center with a jack on the rocker panel. Once you have on side completed, the second side is not as critical because you have the support of the first sub frame connector. I don't envy you doing this with the car horizontal. It's a lot of welding, even from the side it was a big job. Use a good welder's apron, cap and gloves and wear a full face welding mask. Hot pieces of flux/metal is no fun on the skin.

Once you have the frame rail fabbed up and ready for welding onto the car, you can put the stands under that and rest the car on the frame rail.

If you want to talk about this when you're ready to go, PM and I'll give you my phone number.

Tim

Guest Your Car is Slow

works for me....ive been engrossed in a welding class at the local community college....it really has me hooked. Ive been itching to do something on the car ever since I started it :)

Did you do everything in stainless? I dont really want to fork out the cash for a TIG welder as I planned on doing pretty much everything in carbon steel (coated after its done to prevent rust hopefully)....so I was going to pick up a nice lil MIG welder for my own personal use :)

We shall see how it goes...Ill keep your offer in mind when I get to the project :D I really need to finish my new garage so I can move the entire car in there before tackling something like this.

Too many projects...so little time :/