HybridZ

check out this HKS plenum!

OlderThanMe

yes, it can work with the triple carbs, but also with ITBs as well.

The 1 you picture is different than the other 1. The 1 pictured is setup differently. The 1 pictured 1st is most likely to bolt into ITBs, as the 1 you show seems it was setup for carbs, the was modified for a turbo setup.

Because if you do notice... the top 1 says HKS TURBO and the 1 you picture says HKS SURGE TANK.

First, the Yahoo Japan Auction unit is an HKS Type 1 Surge Tank, and is designed to work with blowthrough CARBURETTORS.

The second posted photo (HKS Surge Tank cast onto it) is designed to work with blowthrough CARBURETTORS.

BOTH are modified by plugging the float bowl pressurization holes to work with ITB's.

As for the SSS Devil Z shown in "Wangan Midnight" as someone who has seen the car in person I feel I can comment on the series and the car itself:

Originally the car ran Blowthorugh Carbs. In the series you can see that if you watch closely. Over the time the series was being shot, SSS (Speed Shop Sinohara, owners of the car and builders of same) went to some cutting edge Analog EFI Standalone system---so during later episodes (after the wreck and resurrection) you will see there are Injectors and ITBs on the Devil Z.

Both HKS and SK had primitive EFI systems available in the late 80's for ITB's.

I have two of those Type 1 tanks, as well as a Type 2 on the way (minus the inlet piece which was sourced separately)... Why so many? Because I have Mikuinis, Turbo Equipped Dellortos, and a set of Period Correct HKS ITB's... The question is which car will get which. And one day I will vend off my SK Plenums... For the individual that PM'd me about the SK plenum...I can't find the Separator Baffle for inside it, otherwise I would have replied to you. It's not much use to a Carburetted Setup without the separator baffle...now if you have ITB's maybe I misread your PM... then maybe we can do business.

But I digress...

In short, neither of those plenums was ever designed for ITB's as it's primary usage...when these came out, Carbs were king...

280zforce: Imagine how far ahead you would be if you started with that... :-P

There were...

The timeframe of the Original Wangan Midnight Series, the late 80's (my time in Japan) you could pick up those engines in Mainland Japan complete out of the junkyard for between 50 and 100,000 yen (Ju-Man).

That was the cost of the surge box ALONE, new.

Thankfully, Japanese didn't put much of a priority on 'secondhand' parts, and if you found one that was impounded for racing, and sent DIRECTLY to a scrap yard, the entire engine would set you back maybe 5,000 Yen.

I had a scrapyard where impounds went on a regular basis, and I bought countless headers (Greddy/Trust) for $7 (700 Yen), Completely worked Heads for 3,000 Yen ($30) and on one occasion I bought a complete, NEW set of SK Tripples (40mm) on the manifold for 1,000 yen ($10...actually at that time it was closer to $4.50). The owner had put them on his Skyline, tuned it at Goya Tuning, and maybe had 250Km on them when he wrecked streetracing and the J.P.'s impounded his car. And I was there for the scavenging. New OS Header was a whopping 700 yen .... it was all sold by weight and metal content.

Man, I took some good stuff out of that yard over the years.