HybridZ

saab viggen?

rustrocket

Does anybody here have any experience with the Saab Viggen? I've been in the market for a newer car, i think it's time i gave up my 1980 corolla for something that goes over 75 mph and has more creature comforts. I've been looking at c4/c5 vettes, the porsche 930 , wrx's, but i really need something that's cheaper so i can finish my spitfire project sooner, and also not worry about insurance.

I've read a few reviews, and most people seem to love them. Seems like good bang for the buck...plenty of power, decent gas mileage (high 20's, i've heard of some ppl getting 30+), roomy, etc. And with a few simple bolt ons, you can be well over 300 HP + 300 ft lbs torque. The only real con i've heard is the torque steer.

What do you guys think?

Btw, thanks to everybody who's put up with my e-mails about the aforementioned cars.

Saab-9-3-OG-intro.jpg

I almost bought one but the torque steer and the way the shifter moved around while under power and cornering hard turned me off. The shifter itself felt like a plunger in a bucket of rocks when going through the gears. I heard that upgraded poly engine and trans mounts solve most of my complaints.

To John's point, see if you can take one for a test drive. Specifically, find a place where you can get and stay on the gas around a long turn, such as a freeway on/off ramp. Then play around with flooring/lifting the gas in 2nd gear. Keep one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the shifter.

Let us know what you experience :) You won't believe how much changing the throttle will affect a) the force on the steering wheel, B) the direction of the car, and c) the position of the shifter.

Other than that, Saabs are great cars the rest of the time. I too almost bought one until I took it out for an agressive test drive. Bought a 3 series BMW instead - not as much raw acceleration, but so much more stable with handling at the limit.