HybridZ

Running hot

Guest autoxzx

Guest autoxzx

I have a 79 280zx nonturbo and the thing starts running extremely hot after it gets warmed up. i just did the radiator less than a month ago. Pressure tested it, no leaks. Overflow bottle is still full too. Thought i might be the thermostat. Changed that today and its still running hot. Any ideas why? I'm thinking maybe the fan belt clutch? idk

That is a cheap place to start . Even cheaper is take out the thermostat boil some watter to a bit hotter then a cup of realy hot coffee stick the thermostat in it and if it opens then that is not the problme . If ya replaced the radiator forget about it if the fan pulls air id kind off let it go for the moment .

If ya do the thermostat test and it passes better if ya know the watter temp . Then id head for the watter pump before the fan issue .

Is it hotter at idle or at speed or at both . I chased down a overheating problem for 6 months it ended up being my radiator was cloged i went backwards form what you have done .

Jaon

autoxzx,

You are not alone with this problem. My stock 78 gets hot during idle. The higher the outside temp, the closer to 250 it gets on the gauge. Soon I will find out how it reacts to 100 plus degree Sacramento Valley temps.

Here is what I have done so far.

Replaced Radiator, water pump, and thermostat.

Interesting thing is it does not use exessive amounts of oil or coolant. All the spark plugs show normal sediment patterns.

Next on my list is the temperature sending unit.

What steps have you taken to minimize the amount of air in your block? Air in the system can block passages. Try filling the block at the water pump.

If you have to drive your car before you fix this problem, try running the heater at full blast. The extra cooling from the airbox will help.

• 1 month later...

This might be a bit late but maybe it will help someone else out with the same problem. I too had a problem with an engine getting hot, after replacing belts, thermostat, new radiator and cap it still was getting hot.

The lower radiator hose was so soft that the force of the water pump sucking water from the radiator would collapse the hose and then it could not get any water flowing. Replaced the lower hose and problem was cured.

I hope this helps as it is my first post, I was home on leave from Iraq last week and ran across this site and I too have been bitten by the V8Z bug.

I can't wait until I get home for good and find me a Z to drop some power in :o

Lou