HybridZ

Strip and Dip - Wait, need Roll Cage

Guest thinkmonkey

Guest thinkmonkey

I bought a '73 240 with a refurb L28 dome-top and a need for some bodywork 3 months ago. Right now the car is stripped down to the body/engine/suspension and my friend and I have finished the bodywork, so that now it is ready for paint. Before I paint it though I want to install a full roll cage because I'm planning for a V8, I've seen video of a rolled 240z on cops, and I plan to some street/track racing with it. What I want is full structural support from the front towers to the back with excellent rollover protection and moderate side impact protection. Right now I am thinking about either the S&W's, Jeg's, or Chassiswork's kit cages. I have an experienced welder friend at my side. I'm wondering what you guys would recommend.

Also, what solution do you guys use when it comes to the dash getting in the way. Did you mount the roof hoop to frame rail bar in front of the dash, or cut into it? If you installed a bar going across the dash how did you manage that? If anyone has some good interior pictures to share I would really love it. Thanks guys.

-David

Guest Anonymous

Welcome Dave. You may want to do a search on roll cages since the roll bar experts are most likely enjoying this early summer weather. See what is available and post Tuesday or Wednesday.

Welcome to the forum!! Hopefully some of our more seasoned veterans can give a few shouts of info here. In the meantime...

I had an SW cage that I sold (needed money, but I liked it). Some guys will advise against the "kits" offered by these companies, and say to go to a porfessional race car fabrication shop. However, I think the kits are fine and they meet the specs for drag racing.

There are some really in-depth threads about cages in this forum. It has been nicely hashed out with lots of great information. You would do really well to use the 'search' function and keep asking those questions!! smile.gif

Good luck with the project and keep us posted! Pics, man, pics!!

Davy

I recently asked much the same question. Here is the thread:

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001382

Hopefully Katman will get back with his ideas. The search function will return a BUNCH of info on cages. Probably won't find one simple answer.

There is a general HybridZ concensus that Pete Paraska's Z site details a set of excellent subframe connectors:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska/index.html

I have seen his Z and they look extremely nice down there.

Like DavyZ said, some of the experts are critical of the "production" cages. But remember, it is your Z and what is right for a full blown race car might not be the best solution for your needs.

What ever you do, post lots of pictures!! Maybe you will find the perfect street solution!!

David,

I used the S&W kit for my 240. Just keep in mind that it is a "kit", and some modification is necessary. That said, I was happy with the kit and the price was very good. I had to do some pretty extensive mods because of my Corbeau seats and fuel cell. I used the 8 point, so no roof hoop for me, so sorry no advice there. I have pics on my site if you're interested.

Tim