HybridZ

black primer and ugly hatch

Hi, I want to get my Z painted this summer after I get out of UCLA. I was thinking just a black primer. How many coats would I want, and would places like Maaco do? And, how much will that run? Also, my rear hatch does not align with the body on maybe the last 2-3 inches. It's like something is just pushing the hatch up. How would I go about fixing this? Thanks for all your input,

Wilson

Guest TeamNissan

You can spray the car yourself if your just going to use primer... If you mess up just wet sand it lol, very easy. Maaco will do it but its really a waste of money. I really have to advise against just black primer though, it doesnt seal and remains porus. When its wet its blotchy, it hs no uv protection and eventualy it will start looking like crap.

As for the hatch I would start by taking the struts off it and see if you can just loosen the hinge bolts to line it up, then retighten. If that doesnt work take it off and give it a good look, see if its bend a lil out of shape.

Guest TeamNissan

I agree with the 2 stage but you know plack primer and flat black paint are just about the same thing, niether will hold up for very long and both wont seal.

I agree with the 2 stage but you know plack primer and flat black paint are just about the same thing, niether will hold up for very long and both wont seal.

Depends on the paint. An old neighbot of mine painted his 68 Camaro with some flat black single stage enamel about 10 years ago, and it still looks the same as when he sprayed it, dull black. He doesn't have a garage, so it is out in the elements year round.

The guy is a jack@ss. I lived next door to his mother for a little less than 2 years, and it was 2 years too long. He served some time for burglary, and moved back with his mom after he got out, and still lives there, and is about 45 or so years old. Anyway before our scuffle I talked to him about how he painted his camaro, and he told me he went and bought the paint stuff at one of the local auto paint stores, which carry Dupont, Nason, and some other brands. I speculate it was Nason since the other brands would be more expensive, and this guy is cheap if he is buying it. Anyway they painted it in a buddys garage. Anyway while I was living there I had several things stolen. My Camaro window was broken, and all the stereo equipment and CD's taken. My ex-wife said that she noticed my speaker box 10" subs with Amp in an enclosure that I made in his trunk one day. She said I know it is yours unless he made one exactly like it, and even mounted the amp upside down in the same location. Well long story short, I confronted him, and he said he bought it from a buddy that made it, and his buddy backed up his story. I didn't have any pictures of it, and didn't hold on to the reciepts for any of the stuff. About another month after this my brand new (at the time) 1996 CR250 motocross bike was stolen out of the back of my truck while I was working 12 hour graveyards. I am sure he was involved, the police checked him out, and even told me that they though he was involved, but had no evidence, no fingerprints, or anything to go off. Sorry for all this info, but I would rather not talk to him, as I hope he doesn't find out where I live now, or what I drive.