HybridZ

Will this weld work? PICS of Progress

I purchased this 'no rust' shell and am stripping the undercoating. I have a lot of time during this process and need your help. Will the patch that the previous owner did work or should cut it out and redo it. (Obviously, it needs to be finished either way). I will be putting flares on, but I don't want to be doing this work again in a year because it looks like an amateur did the work or it starts rusting. PLEASE HELP!

tmp8673bq7.jpg

tmp9749bo4.jpg

tmp3008hi4.jpg

tmp9150vo9.jpg

The second part I'm worried out about is the driver side frame rail. Someone patched it, but it is rusting below the rail. Just surface rust, but should I cut it out and install new frame rails???

tmp331rg1.jpg

The welds LOOK like they will "work". It's just the weight of the bottom part of the fender that it has to support right? The biggest thing is did he penetrate both pieces of metal at one time, how long of a strip and how often. It looks like for a few inches he got into it pretty good on the vertical part by the lip. It kind of looks like in the middle of the welding he got a pretty good strip maybe 2 inches long. Some of the tacks look like they penetrated both pieces. He didn't do the greatest job of tacking it in but the reason he tacked it like he did was to keep it from warping (atleast that's what he should have done) It's all hard to tell by the picture. I'm guessing that you don't have a suitable welder otherwise you would grind it down and redo it. However, if you just don't want to mess with it and don't care about how it looks then it should work and I would think it would hold up some flares with no problem. Are you planning on grinding it down?

Thanks. I am going to grind it down, but I didn't want to do that if I would simply have to remove the entire piece. What should I do with the frame rail. Clean and reweld or clean and install a new frame rail?

since you have a roti, cut and weld in some beefy rails =)

or are u restoring to original? i would redo that quarter panel. i have to do that on mine, it's much worse. I dont think i can even raise my car with a roti, because it might just crumble and break in half =/

Careless. Thanks. I hope my car is far from original, but that totally depends on my budget. When you install the frame rails, how do you keep rust from forming between the original rails and the new ones?

i'm going to do something similar to what' been shown here, by Peter Paraska on his website about his V8 Z Venture.

http://alteredz.com/structuralmods.htm

I'm not using the same dimensions, but it's as informative as you should need. and having a rotissieri makes this i'd say atleast 10 times easier.

• 1 year later...
Guest 220richard

.707 * 21 * weld width = thousand pounds per inch of support

so

.707 * 21 * 1/8 in weld = about 1.8 thousand pounds of support per inch of weld.