HybridZ

Wiring a 280zx altinator to a 240. (Diode question.)

Do I need to use the same diode this guy recommends, or can I use another simular one? Do I even need one? Is there an easier way... I am a wiring illiterate person so any help is needed... I've already searched and I can't really find anything to help me out here.

THE MOD FOR 240Zs only:

Buy a new "1981-83 Nissan 280ZX non-turbo" alternator at the auto store. Replace the original alternator and follow the directions below. Before you start, fabricate two little wire "jumpers" (cut a wire about 3 inches long, strip the ends, and solder/crimp a male spade on each end.

• Unplug and remove the voltage regulator on the right firewall.
  • On the regulator's connector coming from the wiring harness, look at the wires going into the bottom. Plug in a jumper to bridge the white wire and the yellow wire. It may appear that both wires are yellow (due to age). Luckily there are only two solid light-colored wires...these will be the white and yellow.
  • Plug the 2nd jumper between the black w/ white stripe, and the white w/ black stripe wire. Leave the other holes alone.
  • Reconnect the thick white w/ red stripe wire (Battery) to the similar point on the alternator.
  • Reconnect the thick black wire (ground) to the similar point (Earth) on the alternator.
  • IMPORTANT STEP: Go to Radio Shack and get a "1N5402" diode. This needs to be soldered inline with one of the wires on the plastic T connector that goes to the back of the alternator. If this step is missed, the engine won't turn off with the key(!)
    Make sure the "line" on the end of the diode faces the connector. Don't solder directly to the connector like my graphic shows...just solder it inline with that wire of course. Diodes are sensitive to heat, so be careful not to overheat the leads when soldering.

alt.gif

i would recommend using those diodes simply for the fact that it's tried and true. other people on this forum are using other diodes with success, however.

at any rate, the radioshack sku for the diodes you mentioned is 276-1143 and the price is $1.49 for a 3-pack. of you like i can find out where the closest store that has them in stock is.....

actually, there was no sarcasm intended! i am a radioshack store manager, and MY store doesn't have these diodes. i have access to a better database to reference in-store stock, and i was offering some assistance. PM me your zip code and i will try to help you out.

if worse comes to worse, i'm actually doing this mod myself here in the next few weeks and plan on picking up a set or 2 of these diodes from a store local to me.....

and you are right, my mistake, it is a 2-pack

You can use just about any diode. Just make sure it's rated for at least 1 amp and 50V. Higher values won't hurt, smaller might not last.

On my 73 without the diode, the engine kept running after turning the ignition off.

excellent! i just picked me up some rectifier diodes from my store (2.5A 1000V...can we say overkill?? :D) and hope to get the wiring taken care of before i get the alternator (car is apart).

does anyone think that a "rectifier" diode will be a problem when compared to any other ol' diode?

Zener diodes regulate Voltage

Regulator diodes regulate current

Both are designed to allow current to flow in one direction once the PN junction has been biased . Usually around 1.7 to about 6 volts.

The idea is to make sure that no current flows in the wrong direction while the alternator is running. Also when the car is turned off, the alternator is still putting out current for a small amount of time. This reverse current could flow back through the system and cause damage to sensitive devices such as the ECU. This would explain the fluttering of the AMP meter as small amounts of current are allowed to flow in two directions with out the diode inline with the regulator. Keep in mind that the regulator does not control direction of current but just how much is needed from the alternator when things like turning on the lights or radio occure. This would require more power from the alternator to continue running the car and handel the increased demand from the radio or lights.

Other diodes are the Schottky Diode used for high frequency and fast switching applications. Definitley not used in a car. PIN diodes when reversed act like nearly constant capacitors, Step recovery diodes, high frequency, Tunnel diodes have negative resistance and are used in microwave applications.

Now you are all Diode experts.

The diodes that are mentioned by others in this thread should be fine.

They regulate current.

A couple of other type of diodes that I forgot to mention are found in your garage door opener. They are the sensors at to bottom that keep the door from closing on your car if it were in the way of the door coming down.

One of them is a LED (Light Emitting Diode) and the other is a photo diode.

You know what the LED is. The photo diode has a small face on it and takes in light. The more light that is exposed to the face, the more voltage the photo diode puts out. It is usually has a 12v input. The LED is 5 volts.

Now you know about all Diodes.