HybridZ

Need help making engine decision...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, im trying to plan which engine I want to get for my swap this summer, which would be the best engine to get as far as upgrading, price, and power for the buck:

5.0 engine from a fox body mustang

4.6L from a 96+ GT

LT1

There was an ad in the paper for a 1970 420hp 396ci engine for 1200 bucks.

Or having like a 350 engine built

?????????????

Guest Anonymous

If you look at it from bang for the buck, the 350, or chevy small block is the cheapest option. The 396 being a big block parts will cost you more, and considerably more work is required to shoehorn it into the Z being as there is no kit per se. The LT1 is a great motor, but you have the extra expense of modifying the fuel system quite a bit (there are cheaper ways around that, but its still a expense) and injection wiring and the initial purchase price. The 4.6 is a unknown, it might be wonderful, it is wider and your into uncharted territory with it (not to mention the above extra fuel system work and wiring harness). 5.0 Ford is currently being swapped by several in the group with success, it would the probably the cheapest Ford solution. So, you takes your choices and go for it.

Regards,

Lone

I second that.

The Ford 4.6 is unbelievably wide - and width, not length, is the #1 enemy for Z V8 swaps.

I have a Chevy big block in my Z. It does indeed take considerable work to get it right (example: even block hugger headers will not clear the frame rail on the passenger's side). It takes yet more work to get as good a weight distribution as you get with the JTR-type small block swap. But, if you do go big block, I suggest that you avoid the 396 in favor of at least a 454. With the weight and cost penalty of the BB, you might as well get as many cubic inches as possible.

Curiously, apparently no one has done a Ford big block conversion. Of course, that has many of the same issues as the Chevy BB.

The SBC is the cheapest way to go. One other question, assuming you are doing all the work yourself, is how fast do you want to complete this swap? Following the JTR manual is like following a cookbook so to speak; it's "fast" and "simple". If you like fabricating and blazing the trail, do the SBF swap. Al Silvera (alsil) on this forum has done the Ford swap, as has Terry Oxandale (blueovalz), and a few others. They had to fab their own mounts etc. Both of those guys seem to be very good at doing this and have had success, but as much headache as it takes is not for me! I like cookbooks ala JTR! SBC all the way...