HybridZ

How bad is the stub axle road race breakage situation

SRGUNZ - Looks like you were right. Even though I called them twice to ensure things were right MSA sent me the lower A-arm spindle shaft instead of the axle spindle. Now they are trying to find one. In the meantime the car is in the shop without the necessary parts to fix it. At least I can get the brakes fixed and the disassembly done while the parts are coming.

heres an odd one

i was drifting at beaverun, in my 240zt and obliterated a cv joint on the 280zxt axels rt side...but the stub looks fine, im no metalurgist but i think the cv took the abuse instead of the stub axel. the cv boot was very twisted up, what could have caused this. binding? why would it not bind untill now, after a season of drift events on the car? is there some situation that might make it bind up?

The cause was most likely the repeated bottoming of the CV in the cup. One bind or one bottoming won't break the part. Repeated binds or bottoming causes fatigue and the structural limit of the parts gets reduced. At some point the load and the structural limit intersect and the part goes boom! It seems like a sudden failure, but the part has been failing over a long time.

As with the stub axles breakage issue, regular inspection and maintenance will spot the problems before something breaks.