HybridZ

WIDE WHEELS

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My question is, where do you find deep dish wheels for a Z? I intend on putting flares on my car but the tire places say they dont make a deep dish wheel in that pattern. Is there anothere car like a mustang or something that might fit the Z pattern? I see all these cool cars on here and they all have really wide deep wheels. Can anyone help?

thanks for all your help

Tony

Guest Fast Frog

Z-F:

I have 15"X10" rear whls and 15"X 7" front whls purchased from Jim Cook Racing 6 yrs ago. My whls are Centerline, especially made for the Datsun Z. They've got the proper back spacing (my terminology my be wrong). I believe one could get 16" whls thru JCR also. Other members of this forum may have other suggestions and successes to offer.

Rick

Guest Anonymous

Years ago, wide rims were available through Gotti (Etoile), BBS, Ronal, Centerline and Epsilon.

Nowadays, a lot of companies will custom make the rims for you. You can still get them from BBS, Kinesis (make really nice looking wheels), HRE (expensive) and Compomotive. All of these companies will custom drill. There also companies that custom build only a few types of rims for race car applications and will custom drill your bolt pattern. Sizes range from 15" to 18" with width all the way up to 20". The only drawback is you don't have a selection to choose from.

Both of my Zs are very wide and carry either 15x11 front, 15x13 rear or 16x9.5 front, 16x13 rear all 3 piece BBS racing rims. The average rim price is about 800.00 each, but they are very light and strong.

I got tired of the old mesh style look and decided to upgrade to a 17x11 and 17x12.5 with a more up to date look, but I had to bite the bullet on the custom made rim by Compomotive. Acutally, the rims were only 2000.00 total (no tax, I'm out of state from manufacturer) with lug nuts, valve stems, not including shipping. Tires are the main problem. When you start playing around with wide tires, especially good ones, get ready to empty your bank acct. Tires for my new rims were 200.00 each for the fronts and nearly 400.00 each for the rear.

Let me know if you want me to get you any info.

Hoover www.gotumph.com

Guest Anonymous

Rick,

What type of tires are you running with your 15" wheels?

I am using 15"X9"s all the way around and have had a difficult time locating high performance tires for 15" wheels.

Chris

Guest Fast Frog

Chris:

After much research, I ended up with Dunlop SP 8000s. 245/50/VR15 for the rear (9.3" tread width & 24.7" in dia) and 205/55/VR15 for the front (7.5" tread width & 24.7" in dia). I was/have been looking for replacing the rear tires cause they're bald due to whl spin and too much inflation. 20-22lbs of air pressure is all one needs in rear tires that wide with such a light load. Soon I'm going to buy a pair of BF Goodrich drag radials from Jegs. They're 26" in dia, 11.3" in section width and 10" in tread width. These tires are "stickier" but still have some wearability and hi speed rating.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited February 20, 2001).]

I bought my wheels from Billet Specialties. If memmory serves me correctly, the wheels were $425 per wheel (17 X 11 custom made on ANY or ALL of your dimensions you send in, with steel inserts for the lug nuts). They weigh about 22lbs. Then I bought 315/35R17 "blems" (cosmetic only, and have yet to see where it is) from the Tire Rack for $175. Total for a wheel and tire assembly was $600, which was far cheaper for this set-up than I could find anywhere else at the time.

Terry

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

Hoover, by any chance do you have the toyota calipers on the front?? I just installed mine, and the good ol' swastica rims wont fit. So ive been calling around to get some quotes. Kinesis:nice but expensive, HRE (super nice, but super duper expensive!!) So i think im going to go with some compomotive RL's or TS' Got a pic of yours??

thanks,

franklin

Guest Anonymous

Weld has a double drilled draglite that fits as well, and they're pretty darn light, but its more a old school look. If I had 5 lug I would have gone probably rodlights which I like the looks of. There is also a wheel DavyZ and I saw recently that is a halibrand copy (for those that know what that looks like, think ace cobra wheels) can't recall the make, but I want to say centerline. Anyway, 'deep dish' is a pretty retro look, these days deep dish is more for pizza as the FWD cars have some outrageous backset on them. Wheel adapters are available to run the FWD wheels if thats a look you like. Plenty of people still making that wheel pattern though (well a few, anyway).

Regards,

Lone

Like Terry, I got mine from Billet Specialties . I have 15x8 and 15x10. They have a line that are quite reasonable. You spec the bolt pattern and backspacing. And unlike some other wheel manufacturers, they will drill a 10" with 4 lugs. I paid $193 for the fronts and $200 for the rears. I like the retro deep look myself. I know some guys here don't go for the billet style.

gt15.jpg