HybridZ

Yet another MSII on the way

hoohaa

I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. I have been lurking in these forums for a LONG time now, soaking up all the info I can on Nissan MS applications I can. There is a whole lot of good MS info here. It's amazing how many forum members there are here with such extensive MegaSquirt experience. Thank you all for advancing MegaSquirt development and use by sharing your knowledge and experience. Your comments have been invaluable to me.

My name is Bryan and I'm rebuilding a VG30 right now in my garage in Dallas Texas that I'm going to MegaSquirt. The VG is going into a Pathfinder and there will be a turbo thrown into the mix. I'm tentatively planning on using a Pathfinder manifold, TPS, and distributor, an early Z31 top feed fuel rail with 450cc Ford CFI injectors, the stock pathy bottom end freshened up with new Nissan bearings, homebuilt mild steel turbo manifolds with 1/2" flanges feeding either a T3 .60 AR or a T3/T4 turbo or something else that will work well and spool up fast. I currently have an automatic transmission in the pathfinder but I'm planning to swap it out for a Z31 T5 5 speed. I haven't yet decided on an intercooler, knock sensor, wideband, or exhaust system. I'll do the best I can on my small budget.

I'm debating an EDIS setup. I will probably hit the junkyard the next time they have a half price weekend and snatch up an EDIS-6 setup and CFI injectors at the same time. I'm having a hard time resisting.

The time has come to order the MegaSquirt. On BlozUp's recommendation I am going for the MSII. I'm going to take my time building the MS and I'm also planning to do a really good job building a wiring harness at the same time. I want to do it right and therefore avoid doing it more than once, so I'm planning to go all out with weatherpack connectors, a decent labeling system, soldered connections all around, lots of heat shrink and good shielding all around. I'm planning to buy from DIYautotune simply because Matt Cramer has contributed so much to my knowledge (though he doesn't even realize) over the last year as I have researched and researched on forums and through google searches on whatever MS topic.

I am working with a tight budget and a drive to do as much as I possibly can in my own garage. I see this as an opportunity to further my learning into the areas of electronics and fuel injection and engine control theory. Let's not leave out the satisfaction of driving a turbocharged Nissan when the project is finished as another motivating factor :burnout:

So THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this forum over the years!

MS is great. Take your time with your first one, but don't take a break. Once you've started it everything flows together so easily, unless you stop for a couple days then try to get back at it. In total it will take anywhere from 8-10 hours to complete the ECU assembly. Try and make a day of it, say devote a whole Saturday just to the ECU. If you take a break and come back to it, you'll feel a bit lost as you cram sooooo much new and exciting info in all at once coming back will be like meeting 100 people all at once then trying to remember everyone's name next week. Good luck!

The deed is done. I ordered a MSII DIY kit, the stimulator, an open element and closed element sensors for IAT and CLT, and pullup resistors.

I can't wait to receive the kit and start building!

My main question at this point is about a wideband. I have not been able to determine when the Precision Wideband Controller is supposed to become available. I would love to use that controller, but if it won't be available for a long long time I'm going to have to look into other options. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the LC1, which I will have to buy if I can't find another option. Anyone have info on this?

The deed is done. I ordered a MSII DIY kit, the stimulator, an open element and closed element sensors for IAT and CLT, and pullup resistors.

I can't wait to receive the kit and start building!

Congrats. Are you on ricekiller.com? Or is it z31performance.com... ugh too many forums...

I'll be moving to dallas soon, I HAVE to see this pathy. I had an idea of VG30ET pathfinder a long while ago, but went with car route instead.

If you need any help while building it/installing it, let me know. I can probably help out.

My main question at this point is about a wideband. I have not been able to determine when the Precision Wideband Controller is supposed to become available. I would love to use that controller, but if it won't be available for a long long time I'm going to have to look into other options. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the LC1, which I will have to buy if I can't find another option. Anyone have info on this?

Um.. the LC-1 is the cheap alternative. And it hooks up nicely to MS. Have you seen the price of an AEM wideband?

I don't think I am registered on ricekiller, but I am on z31performance, and vgpowered. I believe we have chatted over there before. There's another guy with a VG30ET in a pathfinder, GrayZee I believe, but he's up in Ontario.

Heck yeah I would love some help and I'm sure I will need it at some point in the future. I would also love to drop by and turn some wrenches with you and pick your brain if you could ever use some help. I've got a couple welders, drill press, access to a plasma cutter, 12 ton press, dry cut chopsaw, and other stuff.

Let me get this straight, you previously had a MSnS extra controlled VG30ET, right? But now you are doing something different? Another VG30 in a Z31, but controlled with MSII, right? I am sure I will have questions for you... How far along are you on the MSII build? Mine is going to arrive today and I'm ready to start building for the most part.

How did you like the T3/T04e? I read on your page that you hit 18psi on it and maxed your injectors out.

Does this mean what I think it does? Yessssss, giving the tool and equipment hook up? I'm going to miss my shop access here when I move to dallas and get stuck in my apt with my GF all day. Problem is, my project car will be stuck here till it can move on it's own... legally.

Yeah, I had MSnS in my 50th AE Z31. I'm doing a VG30ET in my 240Z now, controlled with MSII. I've completed my MSII box and relay board, and it's just waiting for the rest of the car to be ready, which will be soon hopefully.

My turbo was a good choice. I hit 18-20psi and made 390hp 440tq at the wheels. That was on 440cc DSM injectors. I was at 90% or so DC when I hit that. I sold it soon after that, never made it to the track or anything. Ugh, worst decision ever to sell that thing. I could have improved a few things to increase hp without increasing DC, but I didn't get that far.

I think I will go with either that turbo (t3/t04e 57 trim, stg 3, .63 exhaust), or a GT35R. I'm aiming for at least 400hp with enough headroom for, say 500hp.

I've got tools, you have lots more knowledge and experience megasquirting and turbocharging the VG30... Sounds like a good trade to me! When will you and your vehicle be in Dallas?

The MSII arrived yesterday! I'm going to build the stimulator today and then tackle the MSII this weekend. Can't wait!

I've got tools, you have lots more knowledge and experience megasquirting and turbocharging the VG30... Sounds like a good trade to me! When will you and your vehicle be in Dallas?

The MSII arrived yesterday! I'm going to build the stimulator today and then tackle the MSII this weekend. Can't wait!

A couple years at least.

Finished off the MegaSquirt V3.0 board. BlozUp I like the changes and additions you've made to your site.

haha, thanks. I kind of do it in spurts, usually after i work on my car a little bit. If only this rain would go away id go over there now and if my car isn't washed away, i'd work on it.