HybridZ

280YZ Headlight Ideas

torynich

Has anyone come up with a nice looking way to put headlights into the 280YZ front end? I like what Rick Bowers did, but I was wondering if anyone else did something different. I have seen the square headlights in the grill cutout and that is not the look I am going for.

Before I undertook the job of molding Z headlight buckets into my fenders, I investigated various aftermarket headlight assemblies to install. I actually obtained Miata, Eclipse, and PT Cruiser headlights to eyball - Finally gave up because it would be extremely difficult to line them up to look and function well.

Headlights from another application, unless you get really lucky and find one whose contours match the Z, would probably be much more work than installing stockers.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Every time I start day dreaming about the YZ body kit on a street car, (the lines are incredible, aggressive, and HOT), sbav.gif the head light issue keeps coming to mind. A head light that visually fits the lines and style of the YZ, not something that just illuminates the road.

Ricks grafting of the OE head lights is a work of art and is a very well executed head light solution. Nice work Rick.

Then it came to me, with a one piece front end like Ricks, would it be possible to use the Z-32 head lights, or the Z-31 semi pop ups? If not the exact set up, maybe a derivative that would fit the YZ lines?…

Z-32;

angle1Medium.jpg

Piddle1Large.jpg

Z-31;

2491_7mg.jpg

N-hood-New-Lights.jpg

Ricks;

DSCN0157.JPG

Ricks grafting of the OE head lights is a work of art and is a very well executed head light solution. Nice work Rick.

Aw Shucks.

Then it came to me, with a one piece front end like Ricks, would it be possible to use the Z-32 head lights, or the Z-31 semi pop ups? If not the exact set up, maybe a derivative that would fit the YZ lines?…

Of course it would be possible. This is HybridZ, where we make anything fit anywhere. That would be nice looking, in addition to offering an inexpensive (If you don't assign an expense to your labor :mrgreen:) upgrade to lighting performance. In the end, I just decided that I wanted to keep one of the most distinctive features of the S30 styling, while developing my car's overall persona - kind of like a pumped up mutation of the Z.