HybridZ

help with fuel & spark maps

zwilliams

I just bought a spector ems pro for my stock 76 z . I plan on using the ford edis for spark and a g20 throttle body. Installed on the car now is a msa 3-2 header , a turbo fuel pump & a c.a.i . every thing else is stock. I looked through the fuel map sticky and found a few maps that are close to stock but most have hot cams. I am a total MS newbie although I have been reading about it for close to a year. Any help would be welcome.

Guest 280ZForce

best thing you can do is load up a map that is close and check your AFRs throughout, then make adjustments live as needed by doing some street tuning w/ a wide band.

I just bought a spector ems pro for my stock 76 z . I plan on using the ford edis for spark and a g20 throttle body. Installed on the car now is a msa 3-2 header , a turbo fuel pump & a c.a.i . every thing else is stock. I looked through the fuel map sticky and found a few maps that are close to stock but most have hot cams. I am a total MS newbie although I have been reading about it for close to a year. Any help would be welcome.

Have you checked out my thread? Im not sure how the header and throttle body you have will effect the tuning, but my '76 is stock, MSII, EDIS. I have posted my maps if you would like to try them. I have increased my required fuel to 19.2 since this post (the engine was running really lean). Now it seems to run pretty well. I have ordered my WB o2.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=122334

Tim

Your engine will [at least appear to] run fine under a range of fuel mixtures, so a VE table within a wide range will usually run your car pretty well. Using a map from a car with, say, a big cam will for the most part just result in a richer mixture up top and somewhat of a leaner mixture down low - for me, that was a completely acceptable starting point. The problem comes when making up a spark map, since you pretty much cant tune it up without a dyno, and need to have a good ear for detonation.

Heres the spark map I made up for my stock 280z, and its actually so good that I have gotten away with running it for many months now with no problems. I did catch it pinging once when I ran regular gas, but its fine on Special. Because of your smaller displacement, your engine should require slightly less advance, so you may want to take a degree or two out in the higher areas. Other than that, I don't recommend messing with it until its on a dyno, and even before then, take it easy to start out and keep your ears open.

I remember seeing that the L26 has a CR of 8.8:1 like the N42 L28, this is correct, yes? My above statement assumes that.

Heres the map, its really flat and simple, but it runs my car very very well somehow.

SparkTable.jpg

- EDIT- Why did I think you had a 260z? You should be good to go with that map!